FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: 504 and the Principal  (Read 10067 times)

Description:

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
Re: 504 and the Principal
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2014, 07:33:21 AM »
I'd go one step further . . . it goes back to them NOT having the express permission from parent/guardian to FEED ANY CHILD at the school, except possibly for the proscribed lunch / meals if the parents don't or can't.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

guess

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2014, 11:13:38 AM »

Can't get that image out of my head.  Then again I love Gene Wilder.

Offline MomTo3

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2014, 03:22:58 PM »
Today DS comes home and tells me "Teacher was giving out candy canes at the end of the day. She left them on her desk and said we could take one when we left.  I touched it but then thought I shouldn't take it so I left it."

Holiday break is in 2 day.

My head is about to bust.

What now???
 ???

Offline MomTo3

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2014, 10:38:50 AM »
Any thoughts on how to proceed?  I know what I WANT to do but that may be a bad idea ;)

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2014, 11:04:11 AM »
Well, go ahead and write the e-mail that you want to write.

Just don't SEND that particular e-mail.

In fact, just so that such things cannot happen, btw,  I leave my e-mails UNADDRESSED when I write one of those, er-- smokers.   :poop:

Then, take a deep breath and write the letter that will get the results that you are hoping for.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline daisy madness

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2014, 11:10:25 AM »
What does the 504 state about food in the classroom and whether your son is permitted to be given food at school?

Do you have a copy of your school's 504 grievance process?  You already addressed this with the principal.  That did not have the desired effect.  Personally, I would move on to the next step, which would be a 504 grievance within the district.  Follow it exactly and do not allow them to deviate from it either.  That is, assuming that the 504 specifically addresses incidents such as this. 

guess

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2014, 11:28:35 AM »
delete for poster privacy
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 01:13:28 PM by guess »

Offline MomTo3

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2014, 12:39:36 PM »
These two issues are completely seperate from the PTA stuff.

His 504 says no food in the classroom.

With it being so close to break I sent the 504 lead  an email this morning. Still nothing. I will request the grievance police if /when I hear from her. I am wondering if there is too munch info here now. I'm just all over the place.

And you are right about the unaddressed email ;)

Offline MomTo3

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2014, 11:22:25 AM »
Apparently because the 504 doesn't specify OFFER DS food but just ingest, they did follow the plan.   ??? ??? ???

The solution is to call a 504 meeting with the team and suggesting retraining.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2014, 11:37:49 AM »
Note: Particularly sarcastic today...

Because it would be perfectly ok to offer some crack cocaine, as long as I didn't let the kiddos actually ingest it.  Hoping you can come to a good solution - because they seem to be following the letter, but definitely not the spirit.

Offline MomTo3

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2014, 11:52:40 AM »
I told the woman "I know plenty of adults who are on a diet who can't walk past a candy jar without picking something up."She said "Would he eat it?"  Um....well if he isn't offered it we don't have to worry about that now do we?  I said he's 7, he has a mind of his own.  Do I HOPE he wouldn't, of course I hope he wouldn't but I also know and there are studies that show kids DO start to push these boundaries at some point.

I am at such a loss.  I have no confidence that ANY of the plan is being followed when this VERY SIMPLE item isn't, ya know?

guess

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2014, 12:02:18 PM »
You'll probably have to point out what negligence and duty of care is in the most basic, direct way here.  In writing, CC'd to appropriate persons as notice.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 02:58:03 PM by guess »

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2014, 06:43:43 PM »
So sorry I did not see your post earlier!!

(Was celebrating our son's 16th bday -- pretty thrilled and overwhelmed that we've got him to this age alive and in one piece.  You will understand in a few years yourself.   :heart:  )

First, I'm reminded of a couple of threads (here and old place -- Schools and OffTopic) as to "Do NOT Feed this Child!" directives.

Offering to feed is the same as intent to feed in my personal definition of things.  I am not an attorney.  I'm just interpreting the English language.  Proving intent is always hard -- for lay persons AND legal authorities.   ;D

Sounds like part of the "retrain" needs to include a black-and-white, printed up list of definitions.  This would be attached to the 504.  I'm serious and not joking here.  Remember how we used to have to define "tree nut"  (well, some of us still need to be doing that) . . . with all the nuts listed? 

Besides the retraining and serious discussion and WRITTEN understandings, there needs to be a signature page for the 504 (referenced in the accommodations) which requires EACH AND EVERY staff member that has ANYTHING to do with the student to read and sign the 504 with something to the effect of "I have read and fully understand ____ (child name) 504 and will comply."

As to the email suggested by CMdeux -- I put my own email addy in the "to" line.  I send it to myself.  I go back later (after steam is no longer coming from me ears and I am not yelling bad words) and sit down, open, and pretend I am the other person now reading my email.

It has kept me -- MOST of the time -- from sending something I might later regret.
Then I change it in MSWord (copy, paste) and send what needs to be sent.

However, I believe something of this seriousness (your candycane situation) should be addressed by parents within 24 hours, or it can be argued (by other side) that it really wasn't "all that important".

For extreme situations, we've sent emails within 4 hours and delivered a printed copy of the email (by hand) to the main office / admin in charge. 

If you've not become familiar with the great documentation resource that I love -- here is the link:

Re: DOCUMENTING  (cya) 

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2014, 08:36:36 PM »

Offline MomTo3

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2014, 08:53:40 PM »
Besides the retraining and serious discussion and WRITTEN understandings, there needs to be a signature page for the 504 (referenced in the accommodations) which requires EACH AND EVERY staff member that has ANYTHING to do with the student to read and sign the 504 with something to the effect of "I have read and fully understand ____ (child name) 504 and will comply."

Happy Birthday to the kiddo (well, a kiddo in our eyes right? lol)  I always say this is the easy part! I know where they are, who they are friends with and what they are up to at all times! lol 

I started the log. Thanks for the link!

As for the above thing, is there a form you know of?  What would it be called?  And would I make the accommodation of "All staff with any direct contact with XYZ is required to sign the added sheet stating that they have read, understand and will comply with all the accommodations in this 504 plan." kind of thing?

Oh here's another kicked I just found out-  The 504 coordinator who I emailed within 24 hours of the candy cane issue- She left this summer!  Never got ANY information that she left.  Nice! 

Next thing, they are saying my kid is lying about where the candy canes were.  He has stated the 3 times I have asked they were on the teachers desk.  I also asked another Mom to ask her kiddo and she said the same thing where as the teacher is saying they were on a table outside the classroom.  WHY would 2 kids lie about that?  They don't know why I am asking. They don't know what's going on. They have NO REASON to not tell the truth about it.  So I get to spend the rest of the school year with a teacher who won't admit to the truth because they are afraid of being wrong.

Over it.