Indian food and PA

Started by momtoAidenDeclan, December 15, 2014, 03:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

momtoAidenDeclan

I know nothing about Indian food except that it's YUMMY!  My boys would like the earthy/spicy flavors....in general is it a "peanut safe" cuisine OR is it to be avoided at all costs, like Chinese food?  Something that we can ask at individual restaurants?
THANKS!
Never mistake motion for action. ~~
Ernest Hemingway

DS#1 1/23/2000 - PA
DS#2 10/23/2003 - NKA - Type 1 diabetes
me - environmental and sulfa drug allergies...periods of mystery hives over the years....

CMdeux

Individual restaurants, I think-- because inherently, the cuisine is VERY heavy on cashew, but peanut isn't really traditional, so to speak.

HOWEVER-- there is peanut in a lot of pre-prepared sauces, curries in particular.   It's very high risk, IMO.

We regard Indian cuisine as being every bit as dangerous as Chinese; but then again, DD is cashew-allergic and with a very low threshold.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

hk

It's my favorite food, but I think it's very risky.  DDs first reaction at age two was to Indian food.  In this instance, pistachios.  Often when I read about allergy fatalities in the UK, it says that the person had eaten takeout Indian food or curry.  I think curry especially is risky for peanut though I think cashews and pistachios are more common in that cuisine.

Probably not the answer you wanted.  I have become shockingly proficient at cooking Indian food at home...

GoingNuts

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Macabre

Off limits unless we make it at home. If you look at the deaths from take out food ("take away") in England over the past three years, you'll see a trend in the type of food they took away.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

momtoAidenDeclan

Yes, we're ONLY peanuts - eats everything else safely....but thank you for the answers - we'll skip it.
Not sure if I can re-create what we ate....it was SO insanely good.  The basmati rice alone was so perfectly cooked....
Never mistake motion for action. ~~
Ernest Hemingway

DS#1 1/23/2000 - PA
DS#2 10/23/2003 - NKA - Type 1 diabetes
me - environmental and sulfa drug allergies...periods of mystery hives over the years....

guess

The key to the curry take away incidents was the tainted almond powder used as an ingredient.  The restaurant owners used what they believed to be almond powder that under testing proved to be cut or substituted with up to 50% peanut powder as a cheap filler.  Therefore to the restaurants knowledge it was not using peanut leading the investigators to the imported almond powder that was by volume or weight nearly half peanut.

Do you know what it was?  Butter chicken, vindaloo, etc.

Macabre

There have been a lot of those deaths. :(

One thing about more authentic places is exactly that--more authentic ingredients (and I'm thinking spices). I don't want a slice that is manufactured in India--or any other country aside from the U.S. and Canada, yk?
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview