FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Hershey's has blocked chocolate being imported from the UK  (Read 2764 times)

Description:

hk

Hershey's has blocked chocolate being imported from the UK
« on: January 24, 2015, 09:49:22 PM »
I'm so bummed about this.  Our local market has a British candy section where dd can get Kit Kats, Coffee Crisps, Aerobars, Smarties, etc.  Now Hershey's has orchestrated some kind of deal to block these items from being imported to the U.S. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/24/nyregion/after-a-deal-british-chocolates-wont-cross-the-pond.html?_r=1

First they reduce the number if items we can buy from them (chocolate santas, etc.) and now this. 

I know I can still get Kit Kats from peanut free planet, but it was SO NICE to let her get something from the grocery store.  The store is near her orthodontist and it's been a nice tradition to stop there after an appointment.

:rant:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Hershey's has blocked chocolate being imported from the UK
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 10:18:25 PM »
Oh, that is so sad.  DD had never had a Kitkat bar until we were in London. 

Hopefully they will relent.   :-[
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 10:28:55 PM by CMdeux »
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 07:55:34 AM »
Bah humbug to Hershey's. 

Which leads me to wonder...

I wonder if DS is stocking up since he's in Montreal for Model UN this weekend?
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline nameless

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 12:52:51 PM »
Bah humbug to Hershey's. 

Which leads me to wonder...

I wonder if DS is stocking up since he's in Montreal for Model UN this weekend?

If not...he should. When I was Toronto...I kinda bought way too many Kit Kats and Mars bars.
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline candyguru

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 04:35:58 PM »

Yes.. Hershey is losing sales as people prefer to buy the British chocolate which actually tastes good rather than the sour milk taste of Hersheys (who wants to eat sour milk tasting chocolate?)

Hersheys was going to sue the importers so that's why the importers had to stop bringing in UK chocolate to the USA.

And it's silly too.. they said American shoppers might get confused - for example, they might get the Nestle Yorkie mixed up with the Hershey York Peppermint Pattie since they both have "York" in the name.  That is ridiculous.. these two products have nothing in common and don't resemble each other.

Too bad Hersheys is stopping the UK chocolate imports to the USA

(this will not affect Canada as we still get lots of UK chocolate imports here)
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 05:14:05 PM »
OMG.  I am going to go to every out-of-the way certain grocery store that has been carrying these in my area and stock up.  I will dedicate an entire freezer shelf to this stuff.

And if DH starts flying routes to/from UK, I'll see if he can figure out how to be a supplier for some of us for special treats.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

hk

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 07:10:52 PM »
I just bought out our local market.  $99 worth of candy bars.

Offline candyguru

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 07:56:23 PM »
OMG.  I am going to go to every out-of-the way certain grocery store that has been carrying these in my area and stock up.  I will dedicate an entire freezer shelf to this stuff.

And if DH starts flying routes to/from UK, I'll see if he can figure out how to be a supplier for some of us for special treats.

Or if he flies into Canada he can pick up the bars here too.

So the British pavilion at Disney's Epcot Centre may be affected too?  But makes no sense for British pavilion not to have authentic UK chocolate!
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Offline setsail

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 12:46:40 PM »

Or if he flies into Canada he can pick up the bars here too.

So the British pavilion at Disney's Epcot Centre may be affected too?  But makes no sense for British pavilion not to have authentic UK chocolate!
That's a good point. We saw some at the King's Crossing station at Universal Studios. Wonder if they will be blocked from carrying the authentic UK products as well.

It's really a bummer because I've long felt Hershey has changed their chocolate. Years ago they were behind a movement petitioning the FDA to allow vegetable oil to be substituted for cocoa butter and still carry the milk chocolate label. Yes people want cheap chocolate but it still needs to be chocolate, not chocolate flavored. Anymore, that's what the chocolate bars seem like to me.

Offline maeve

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 04:20:20 PM »
That's interesting.  All the UK Kit Kats and Smarties we saw at our local World Market were not safe for DD. However, Yorkie bars from our local supermarket were.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber