login
Food Allergy Support is now on Twitter. Follow us @FASupport. You may also follow our Tweets in our new global footer at the bottom of the page here at FAS!

FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Potato soup?  (Read 1374 times)

Description:

Offline SilverLining

Potato soup?
« on: September 08, 2011, 12:40:28 PM »
copied from old site.

INGREDIENTS
3 bacon strips, diced
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 cups chicken broth
2 large baked potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 cup half-and-half cream
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Shredded Cheddar cheese
Minced fresh parsley

DIRECTIONS
In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Set bacon aside. Saute onion and garlic in the drippings until tender. Stir in flour, salt, basil and pepper; mix well. Gradually add broth. Bring to boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Add the potatoes, cream and hot pepper sauce; heat through but do not boil. Garnish with bacon, cheese and parsley.

I used precooked bacon, so I just sauted the onion and garlic in butter. I also put the bacon right in the pot and threw in a couple handfuls of sharp cheddar. I also used only half the basil. I doubled the recipe and there is hardly any left with only 2 of us eating it! I also waited til it was hot then threw it in the crock pot for a couple hours.

Read more: http://allergy.hyperboards.com/action/view_topic/topic_id/6557/start/1#ixzz2weJRTpvR
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 08:05:19 PM by SilverLining »
When I was growing up we didn’t call it “Political Correctness”.  We called it things like “manners”, “respect” and “the Golden Rule”. ~~~ Peter

Offline SilverLining

Potato soup?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 08:07:02 PM »
Anyone have a good potato soup recipe for the slow cooker?
When I was growing up we didn’t call it “Political Correctness”.  We called it things like “manners”, “respect” and “the Golden Rule”. ~~~ Peter

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Potato soup?
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 07:26:17 PM »
I'm making two crock pots full tonight of a baked potato soup. I'll post the recipe later.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 02:10:23 PM »
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/baked-potato-soup-2

This is where I start (I sub cubed ham for bacon sometimes or do both though the ham version is easier for the crockpot).  Just before serving, I add the cream and bring back to heat.

We add hot pepper sauce or just pass the shaker of cayenne (this is a great soup if your sinuses are clogged).
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 02:12:14 PM »
That  amazing soup. Got rave reviews. Will post recipe later.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 02:43:42 PM »
Baked potato soup

Bake 5 lbs potatoes and let cool in skins

In large skillet on medium heat, sauté until translucent
• 4 T. butter
• 1 large onion, minced
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 t. dried thyme
• Generous salt and black pepper

In medium saucepan over medium-high heat, make sauce
• Melt 2 T. butter
• Stir in 1/4 c. flour until slightly browned
• Whisk in 2 cups whole milk and 1/2 c. cream
• Add 1 bay leaf and whisk until thick
• Add 1 c. grated cheddar cheese and heat until melted

Prepare toppings in separate containers:
• Slice 1-2 bunches of green onions or chives
• 1 c. grated cheddar
• 1 c. sour cream (low fat is fine)

All the above can be done the day before.

To assemble the soup add to slow cooker
• White sauce and onions
• Potatoes sliced in half and scooped out in chunks (include some skins, chopped)
• Whole milk to cover
• Cook until hot, stirring occasionally and mashing some of the potatoes
• Before serving stir in 1/2 c. sour cream (lowfat is fine)

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 09:41:33 AM »
I have a book called Canada's Best Slow Cooker Recipes by Donna-Marie Pye.  I highly recommend any of her recipe books.  I used her Potato-Leek Soup recipe.  I'll post the recipe, then changes I made.

2 tbs butter or marg.
3 leeks (white parts only), trimmed, well rinsed and sliced
1 med onion
4 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
6 cups chicken stock
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
Pinch nutmeg
1 cup whipping (35%) cream
Crumbled Stilton cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

1. In a large pot, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add leeks and onion; cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes or until tender. Transfer to slow cooker.

2. Add potatoes, stock, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours, until vegetables are tender.

3. Transfer soup to a blender or food processor. On batches, purée soup until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Return soup to slow cooker; stir in cream. Cover and cook on high 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Crumble cheese into bottom of individual serving bowls and ladle in soil. If desired, sprinkle with additional Stilton. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

~~~

Changes I made.

Instead of butter, I used pork fat, which I cut into small cubes and added into the slow cooker with the leeks and onion.

I used small red skinned potatoes, without peeling.  I cut pieces a bit bigger then I should have.  I still want them bigger then "diced" but smaller then I did.

I removed almost half the potatoes and mashed with a potato masher, then returned them to the slow cooker, 

The taste was perfect, but I wish. I had mashed a bit more potato or added a thickener of some sort.  I wanted the broth a bit thicker.

~~~~

Next time, I'm using flour or corn starch to thicken and adding a couple cans of clams.  I think this would be perfect for a clam stew.