login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Long time no see...  (Read 4146 times)

Description:

Offline SweetandSour

Long time no see...
« on: January 31, 2015, 09:27:22 AM »
 :bye: Hi guys. I know I haven't  been around posting much, but I do lurk as much as possible, and I think about you guys a lot. I'm  sorry my first post in a looonng time is about a reaction, but it was something  I never thought  would happen, so I figured  I would share...

Last night we went to a bar that was crazy busy. They were serving  on tap a ton of different beers from local places I am very familiar  with. .one of the brewerys makes a pb&j beer that does have nuys brewed into it.  Long story short,  I ordered a beer thay was a chocolate  beer I love from  another brewery, and I took a sip, and it tasted like grapes. It didn't  even click that she has given me th pb&j beer. I sent it back for the right beer and she gave me the same glass filLed to the top. Took another small sip and it was the same beer. I don't  know if she kept pouring the wrong beer or if the taps were mixed up or what. I sent it back again and we paid the bill because she was awful to begin  with and we were going to go home.

My husband asked me in the car if I was itchy and I was. He turned on the light and had a rash starting  to spread. He asked me what the beer had tasted like. I told him grapes and he just looked at me like oh crap. He immediately clicked it had been the pb&j beer.

Thankfully, no breathing  problems, which was strange  because usually  I have that right away, but he did make.me go to the ER where I got an IV with steriods, benadry, and pepcid to knock out the rash and an upset stomach. I feel much better today.

Like I said, I'm  so sorry I haven't  posted much and that my first post in a long time is about a reaction.

I don't  know if the brewing process changes the compounds or if I just got really.lucky that all I had was a rash which is not typically  where the reaction stops for me, but that could have been a lot worse, and I'm   for sure going to call the bar and tell them what happened.

Eta: sorry about the typos. I'm  mobile and still sleepy from all the meds. I stood up and I fell like I've  been hit by a truck which is typically  how I feel the day after.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 09:32:54 AM by SweetandSour »
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

guess

Re: Long time no see...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 09:40:53 AM »
As an old lady I fully support you enjoying young love and youthy fun in general. 

Next, awesome job avoiding for so long while enjoying life.  Right on.

Followed by glad it resolved, special pat on the back to DH for going to ER.

PB in beer.  Wow.

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 11:34:46 AM »
As an old lady I fully support you enjoying young love and youthy fun in general. 

Next, awesome job avoiding for so long while enjoying life.  Right on.

Followed by glad it resolved, special pat on the back to DH for going to ER.

PB in beer.  Wow.

I'm  so fortunate  for my husband.

To be fair, looking back it did taste like a pb&j.  The brewery that makes it is incredible  about cleaning and taking precautions  with that beer so the other flavors  can be enjoyed, especially  the taps and lines in their tap toom. It's  a shame the bar they sold it to couldn't  be carrful to serve the right beer.

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 10:03:18 PM »
Wow. And eewwew.  I am so glad youbare okay!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline TabiCat

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 10:06:38 PM »
Hello glad you are ok and have a good fellow looking out for you. 
Ds - Peanut and Tree nut and a  host of enviro

Texas

Offline notashrimpwimp

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 10:13:20 PM »
 :grouphug: glad that you managed the situation and that your DH assisted so capably.

I've seen the pb&j one, and a pb and chocolate stout too. :pour: I thought hazelnuts/filberts were the only nut/legume variety.

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 10:21:06 AM »
Thank you guys for being here. I needed people that understand. I'm  still blotchy  today, and the rush has worn off so now I'm  starting to think about the what ifs, which i need to stop doing.

The brewery  that makes the beer is one of.my favorites and we know the bartenders there. They are so careful to make sure that cross contamination  isn't  an issue when they brew anutty beer ( they do a few, the pb&j, a reeses cup, and a drumstick ice cream flavor). we've  been there so many times and never had any issue.  I'm  thinking  about telling them about it because 1. They were serving the wrong beers and 2. They take the allergy alerts  very seriously. 

Would you guys say anything about the third party bar

U.S.A.

~George Carlin

guess

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 10:31:53 AM »
Order wine from now on.   :cocktail:  Or order an unopened bottle.  Do they bottle any?  If not make a suggestion. 

I gather you're asking a lifestyle question about risk assessment.  Going by your numbers your threshold, their caution, and your DH's ability to act under pressure netted one reaction handled well in what seems to be quite a while.  On the other hand, busy nights, three peanut flavored beer, alcohol, judgment, human error, you would have to take in the totality of circumstances.

My conclusion is keep going but add in one more layer of indirection that reduces human error like what an autoinjector is designed to do.  Drink something different that isn't co-mingled with the peanut beers, does not look like them in a glass or control for the human error in service by having a sealed container.

The slow method to build back in might be avoid the draught beer for now, return to it later after you've had a spacer.  But certainly enjoy yourself at the establishment of your choice if you like it there and they are accommodating.

Also ask them if there's a way for them to inquire within their industry for methods (like what Sloane Miller consults on) in which they could exercise a higher level of allergen management during even busy times.  Offer a solution, reach out to Sloane yourself see what she may know.  This is what she specializes in - solutions for food service.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 10:48:32 AM »
I'm so glad you are OK.  And thankful that you shared this.  My DD is almost 16.  It's one more thing to teach her to be on the lookout for. 

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 10:54:20 AM »
That scared the p**p out of me, reading about the beer and your reaction.  Glad you are okay.  I would def talk to them about the mix-up.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline starlight

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 01:22:46 PM »
Ugh, I'm so sorry this happened to you. There's a place me and my friends go to that is super aware about allergies (they manage to have a PB burger on the menu and serve a regular burger that is XC free - I know, not in everyone's comfort zone but to each her own). They have a few peanut beers on the menu and I always wondered about those and server accidents and line cleaning between batches, you know? The food runners and chefs are trained on allergies and are super careful, but a waitress mixed up my friends' beer orders before. I'm strictly a cider or vodka drinker so I can generally tell if I've gotten the right thing.

Definitely talk to the bar about it, because you're probably not the only PA person in town. I'm not going to suggest changing your drink orders or anything of that sort because I know I wouldn't :hiding: but if you've got a husband/friend, use them. Have them sip what you ordered before you do to see if it tastes off. Pour a little in a water cup if you're worried about their saliva contaminating the glass. If they're anything like my beer-aficionado friends, they'll be thrilled to sample a beer they haven't ordered, they're all trying each others' orders constantly.

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 04:57:22 PM »
I think next time we go to the brewery I'm  going to tell them that the third party bar was mixing up drinks and the taps. If it was actually a tap line  on the wrong keg (which is my guess) Then the other bar was serving one brewerys  beer under a different  brewerys  tap. So the pb&j was served under what was supposed to be another brewerys chocolate beer tap. That by itself would make the brewer we know upset that his product was being sold as another company's  beer. And I know he would be upset they didn't  stay aware when dealing with the nut beer. It's  important  to them for their customers  to have ingredient listings available.

We know the brewers and bar tenders at the actual brewery  so well I  don't  have any concerns  about them personally pouring for me since they know my allergy . We go so often and have never had issues, plus they are fantastic  with their cleaning and keeping the nutty beers tapped on the same lines.

We had never been to that bar before and we won't  go back because  of how awful the service  was on top of the beer mix up. We emailed the bar's corporate  office to tell them what happened. I guess we'll  see if they contact  us.

I think any new bar is going to have a taste test from my husband...just to make sure.

U.S.A.

~George Carlin