FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Discussion Boards > Traveling & Restaurants

New York City / NYC threads

(1/3) > >>

Macabre:
Here's a thread that lists threads about New York City--especially how to navigate it with food allergies, etc.  We can add more as needed.

New York City Restaurants (suggestions please)

NYC:  I need some help with what's in the area for lunch

NYC travel question

NYC

NYC Restaurants

Times Square restaurants?

Specific Restuarants/Places:

Nut-free ice cream in NYC!!

Babycakes NYC

ESPN Zone NYC

NYC: Museum of Natural History

Hyperboards threads:

Public House/Landmarc Restaurants (NYC)

Tips for taking kiddos to NYC (Rockefeller Ctr area)

New York and Washington, DC

GoingNuts:
http://nyc.mommypoppins.com/nyc-allergen-free-bakery-gluten-soy-nut-allergies-cake-ice-cream-cupcake

tnmom:
Hi, everybody. 

My dd and I just got back from NYC recently.  We have been a couple of times now, and since I have learned so much from you guys through your travels over the years, I just wanted to share our experiences in NYC and what has worked for us there.

My dd is a musical theater kid, so we need to be in the theater district.  We like to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Time Square on 8th Ave.   All the rooms have a fridge and a microwave.  It is a newer hotel, and it is really clean.  The staff has always been helpful and the price is about average for NYC (but much less that the Marriott Marquis Times Square where we used to stay.)

What I like best about this Hilton Garden Inn is the location.  You are very close to a lot of attractions, but are not bombarded by Times Square congestion like you would be if you stayed right on Time Square.  It is a block from Broadway and a few blocks from Times Square.  It’s really convenient to theaters, 5th Ave shopping, Central Park, CP Zoo, Radio City Music Hall, Empire State Building, Grand Central Station, Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum, etc. 

It's next door to a Food Emporium, which is a full grocery store.  There is also a Duane Reed (Walgreen’s) about a block down.   There’s a Chipotle about 2-3 blocks from there and a Wendy’s (Frostys) about 4 blocks up.  It is also 12-13 blocks (we like to walk a lot) to the A la Mode Shoppe!  It’s really good nut-free, egg-free ice cream and was one of the highlights of my dd’s trip. 

When we go, we eat a lot of Chipotle.  We also eat in the room quite a bit partly because of allergies and partly to save money.  However, we always make time to eat at Blue Smoke.  They are really good with food allergies and have a separate allergen menu.  It’s a little pricey for barbeque, but it’s good and worth it for the peace of mind.  My dd, PA/TA/EA, usually has baby back ribs, macaroni & cheese, and green beans.  We’ve eaten at both locations and they are equally allergy aware.  Both locations are too far to walk to, so we either take a cab or the subway.

My dd had wanted to try new restaurants on this trip and we researched a lot before we went.  However, with her rehearsal and performance schedule, we didn’t have a lot of time for too many sit-down dinners.  We were going to try Bill’s Bar and Burger, based on Allergy Eats recommendations and Carmine’s.  (I love Carmine’s.)  Carmine’s has a better online allergen menu than the last time we went.  I also e-mailed them to ensure they could accommodate my dd’s egg allergy by cooking her pasta separately and they advised me they could, but sadly we never made it.  The employees at The A la Mode Shoppe also recommended Big Daddy’s as being very food allergy accommodating.  Maybe next time we go we’ll get to try one of these places. 

I hope if you’re planning a trip to NYC this information helps you.  It’s a really fun, crazy place!

PS:   If you can’t get a room at the HGI, there is also a Hampton Inn up about two blocks.  The last time I checked their prices were comparable.  I believe the rooms at the HI have a fridge, but not a microwave; however, the Chipotle is right across the street. 

Safe Travels!!

Macabre:
tnmom this is awesome information. Thank you!

MaryM:
DH and I spent the weekend in NYC.  We tried Blue Smoke which is a BBQ restaurant on 27th between Park & Lex. They have an allergy menu and take food allergies seriously.  I am going to take my dairy/egg allergic bbq loving DS there at some point this summer.  I do not think DD would enjoy it as she is not a fan of BBQ.  We never made it to the Donut Pub....we were too busy seeing shows  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version