FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: pepperidge farm bagels  (Read 5423 times)

Description:

Offline MamaZu

Re: pepperidge farm bagels
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 09:41:00 AM »
Also- is there another bagel that people trust for peanut and tree nut allergy only?  Lenders?  I seem to remember something about frozen vs fresh?  one being safe and the other not? 

guess

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 11:05:46 AM »
I'm not sure in 2015 there's any way around conglomerates, brands being bought and sold amongst them, and the manufacturing facilities that they may not even own.  There are few that are single entity.  The conglomerate owns multiple brands and contracts out to a multitude of manufacturing facility.  What binds them together is the parent companies policy on paper that is FALCPA compliant yet doesn't reveal much about the manufacture process and warnings of potential contact.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 11:27:34 AM »
We only buy Lender's. The others have not been safe for sesame.

Now, a member here back in 2007 or 2008 had a child who had a rxn after eating a Lender's cinnamon raisin bagel.  She sent it off to FAARP and they confirmed the presence of peanut. Lender's denied the possibility.  We did not eat them for a long time but went back, and we have not had a problem.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Jessica

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2015, 03:53:05 AM »
Also- is there another bagel that people trust for peanut and tree nut allergy only?  Lenders?  I seem to remember something about frozen vs fresh?  one being safe and the other not? 
Check Nature's Own. I haven't contacted them recently but others have said they label shared facility with pn and tn (not other allergens though). We use Aunt Millie's. It's been a while since I've contacted them too, so I sent an email today.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Mezzo

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 06:54:36 AM »
http://www.startribune.com/local/291364061.html

This has a whole list including Lender's and Village Hearth.

If it was in the gluten, is it in the Village Hearth bread we buy?

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2015, 09:36:57 AM »
So I'm guessing it was in the wheat, right? 

I did not know Lender's Bagels were made so close to me.  Wow.  I could drive there and ask questions about the egg bagels that are sitting in my fridge, now untouched, lol. 

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 09:39:15 AM »
So to me, though I may be leery of eating Lender's and PF for a couple of weeks, this does not affect my overall trust for the companies.  That remains in tact (like my trust does for Morningstar Farms does, even though they had products that were recalled recently because of the cumin contamination), but I do want to make sure this has all cleared up before buying more. 

Offline Jessica

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 02:07:49 PM »
I read that it was wheat gluten, but I didn't read it from an "official" source.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Mezzo

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2015, 08:33:25 PM »
The Star Trib article I link to above does say it was in the gluten from a single unspecified source. I'm sure they add extra gluten to bagels to make them chewy.