login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Frozen Rolls Help - I want to make Land of Nod Cinnamon Buns  (Read 2862 times)

Description: Sesame allergy concerns

Offline PurpleCat

Frozen Rolls Help - I want to make Land of Nod Cinnamon Buns
« on: February 13, 2015, 07:48:36 AM »
I have not made Land of Nod Cinnamon Buns (yes from those way back days) since DD's sesame allergy raised it's ugly head.  I came across the recipe yesterday and I want to make these Sunday morning when we are snowed in AGAIN!  I want my house to smell so yummy!

What if I make bread dough in my bread machine like I do when I make her rolls but then freeze it in balls? 

Has anyone done this? 

I looked online and from what I can tell, freezing will not kill the yeast just slow it way down like it is hibernating.  One site recommended doubling the yeast in the recipe if you are going to freeze it.

Anybody done this before?   Suggestions?

Offline Jessica

Re: Frozen Rolls Help - I want to make Land of Nod Cinnamon Buns
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 02:51:45 PM »
I haven't but I have bought frozen bread dough in roll form and they cook up fine. Same with frozen cinnamon rolls.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 07:26:03 AM »
I can't buy frozen dough rolls......they either contain sesame flour or have sesame cross contamination warnings.

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 09:36:30 AM »
I've gotten safe for my ds with sesame allergy. Trying to remember brand
 Isn't Rhodes safe?
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 10:12:21 AM »
Otherwise, maybe just set the machine so the dough is ready in the morning, and assemble it with fresh dough?  Or, maybe if you assemble it with the fresh dough and put it in the fridge overnight, it will rise slowly in there?
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 11:38:08 AM »
momma2boys, on the plain roll ingredient list is this:  Individuals with food allergies:
This product is manufactured in a facility that processes food containing wheat, milk, soy, and seeds. Rhodes does not use any tree nuts, peanuts, meat, fish or shellfish.

They don't say what seeds but other items have sesame.

Becca, if I do that......will all the tricks still work....in particular the pudding?  See I thought the moisture from the frozen rolls helps the whole recipe work.

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 12:04:43 PM »
Ok, must've been a different brand.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline Jessica

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 12:09:49 PM »
Sorry, I should have clarified. I didn't mean for you to buy frozen dough-I was just saying that it's possible for yeast dough to be frozen and still rise. I would do a search for recipes for make-ahead yeast rolls to get an idea of how much yeast to use.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA