login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Enjoy Life - sold to Mondelez  (Read 6839 times)

Description:

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
Enjoy Life - sold to Mondelez
« on: February 16, 2015, 12:05:46 PM »
http://enjoylifefoods.com/project/thankyou/

Hope this doesn't change their products

guess

Re: Enjoy Life - sold to Mondelez
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 12:54:22 PM »
With the conglomerates I don't think the products change much, however, I do think once the smaller company is absorbed by the conglomerate the reporting policies for allergen warning becomes that of the parent company.  Transparency remains strongest amongst independent owner operators because there is a more direct pipeline of consumer to corporate communication.  The party line of conglomerates has become they'll put a warning on if there is risk, a risk that they have determined by their rubric of allergen management and washes.  This is something most CS reps will have scripted and happily extoll the commitment to allergen management because they have little to no contact with the actual manufacturing. 

It becomes apparent when we compare our field notes here.  We have to learn to decode responses of scripted customer service centers.  If there was a risk it would be labeled... no, no nuts in facility (when their screen probably says something more like what allergens are present in the product instead of shared lines, facility).

I might have a contact in the area still from the FARE conference.  At least for now the products and facility will remain unchanged most likely.  What I would foresee changing most immediately that affects us is that ability for more direct contact for the type of line and facility information we valued in the brand, and increased our brand loyalty.  Take milk.  They have milk in the facility.  In the last year they were more upfront about it declaring that at least the line was dedicated milk free and batch testing was performed.  From here out I would not expect to get even that sort of information under the ownership of a conglomerate for much longer once those business practices transfer.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 01:27:25 PM »
Some of their tweets:

@enjoylifefoods: @theallergymama @MDLZ thank you for the support! we are excited to keep making trusted free from products with no changes to our process!

@enjoylifefoods: @janie_agk @FoodAllergyBuzz @MDLZ we are not changing, don't you worry. Ingredients and manufacturing remains the same!

@enjoylifefoods: @Deancbss @FoodAllergyBuzz @MDLZ feel free to reach out to Carolyn: cwiesemann@enjoylifefoods.com. We are here to talk through any concerns!

@enjoylifefoods: @NJGirlSEliza @FoodAllergyBuzz @MDLZ we take our responsibility of providing trusted snacks very seriously. Our standards remain the same!

@enjoylifefoods: @FoodAllergyBuzz @MDLZ We are sorry you feel this way. Please know that our ingredients remain the same as well as our dedicated facility.

@enjoylifefoods: @theallergymama @MDLZ Thank you! Our dedicated production, as you know it today will remain the same!

@enjoylifefoods: @FanFreeAllergy yes they are! we are excited that we will be able to grow our allergy-friendly product offerings too!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

guess

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 01:29:30 PM »
time capsule.  Let's recheck in one calendar year.

Offline Jessica

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 03:21:41 PM »
seems like a weird conflict of interest. Company that is solidly against GMOs merging with a company that has probably advocated against GMO labeling.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 10:45:32 AM »
http://enjoylifefoods.com/project/thankyou/

Not exactly a merger I'd like to see, but I can understand why they would have done it from a marketing and expansion perspective. They say they will remain an independent operational group within Mondelez, maintaining their current standards and practices. 

I wonder if they'll be able to teach Mondelez a thing or two about transparency with their allergen statements and labelling.  Right now, Mondelez may say 'there is no risk of cross contamination' but refuse to reveal whether or not there are allergens in their facilities or shared lines; or say they 'will label for possible allergen risks' on some imaginary risk level they don't identify.  So we avoid Mondelez and trust Enjoy Life?  I hope only the best for Enjoy Life in this partnership, and that they will be able to maintain their current high standards with their own products.   :-/
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 10:50:39 AM »
I decided to place an order for their new grain and seed bars to see if the kids liked them.  I ordered their grab and go Seed and Fruit Mix as well.  So shipment arrives quickly...the Beach Bash grab & go's packaging had issues.  The vertical back seem did not seal properly so all the packages are open.  I left a message yesterday and heard nothing back.  I have left a second message today.  We shall see if anyone calls me back today.  What horrible customer service!

So beware if you are buying any enjoy life products, check the back seems to make sure they are sealed.  I've had this problem with their chocolate chips as well when I buy them at the grocery store...I actually now inspect the seem before I put them in my cart.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 10:05:08 AM »
I have found them to be more responsive on FB than email. 
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 12:48:16 PM »
I emailed this morning and got a response saying she is sorry that this happened and that someone from the order department would be contacting me shortly.  Not sure what their definition of shortly is but their customer service is awful.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 05:37:32 AM »
I did finally get a phone call, they will replace all of the opened packages.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 07:54:28 AM »
FYI- enjoy life is having a friends and family 35% discount.  The code is FRIEND35 and is good until 5/19/18.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2018, 03:10:56 PM »
Ordered Seed and Fruit Mix again, this time from Amazon.  4 out of 24 were open due to poor sealing...asked amazon to replace them.  Box arrived today...3 out of 24 again not sealed properly, but I can't complain at this point since I didn't have to return the first box so now have 41 good ones.  I really wish Enjoy Life would get their act together on this.  Any other company, this would stop me from ordering again, but we love these for on the go snacks.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 07:33:24 AM »
Got an email from Enjoy Life since I hadn't ordered in along time.  50% off an order of over $20 plus free shipping.  Code:  ELF50
It's only good for 2 days.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 02:30:19 PM »
Oh, some ugly things are happening with Enjoy Life since the handover:

=68.ARBLCHubjx06v_FjIeVYVn4xQa4qocKxj06WvTzR5XpdXXbuoKSDUnL5i95YEN9T2NQfGKPFFtTN0pK9vrYclKC3Wz7acIwJhPxPFQ9HnocddHaIjRiZNAcEhMwgxV8mXceVU2dx0MTH2vW8jXbmLAdsS9PjKzXzU47Qec11v5hk8w3WceBRRvElB-BOdjkyFSt-Lt6lwI0CwvrREADNReCNkkh1uk5_oTd2SnglYx2nE7jOmcYZ1t0XHcWh1xDUZJE53Siu7217NYHUyLWgnYjRZIX-R1_xMD0wSF1xzGbWBm7Jg5EV31dJvkY8Mm4ygEn75ai6IiWCZk6drhf4&__tn__=-R]https://www.facebook.com/sweetalexisbakery/posts/10161388988430193?__xts__[0]=68.ARBLCHubjx06v_FjIeVYVn4xQa4qocKxj06WvTzR5XpdXXbuoKSDUnL5i95YEN9T2NQfGKPFFtTN0pK9vrYclKC3Wz7acIwJhPxPFQ9HnocddHaIjRiZNAcEhMwgxV8mXceVU2dx0MTH2vW8jXbmLAdsS9PjKzXzU47Qec11v5hk8w3WceBRRvElB-BOdjkyFSt-Lt6lwI0CwvrREADNReCNkkh1uk5_oTd2SnglYx2nE7jOmcYZ1t0XHcWh1xDUZJE53Siu7217NYHUyLWgnYjRZIX-R1_xMD0wSF1xzGbWBm7Jg5EV31dJvkY8Mm4ygEn75ai6IiWCZk6drhf4&__tn__=-R

Yikes!!  They state free from AND made on shared lines with top allergens - NO, NO, NO!!!  The post in the link says all top 8, but it's not that many.  Still, though, brands like Enjoy Life should be reliable and truly free from.  Not cool, Mondelez, not cool. 

The chocolate chips have warnings for milk now, too, I believe.  (They were made in a facility with milk before, in a dedicated room, and I don't think that has changed, but they now have a cautionary statement about it... not cool.)
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2019, 07:26:59 AM »
I don't shop much at Trader Joe's but apparently they are carrying the protein bites in individual sized packages (contain 4).  We are always looking for portable, healthy snacks with some protein in there.