imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: School Sports and Food Allergies  (Read 1799 times)

Description: We've come a long way!

Offline PurpleCat

School Sports and Food Allergies
« on: March 23, 2015, 03:08:42 PM »
When I think about DD starting school in Kindergarten..................and all the hoop jumping, time and effort it took each year to keep her safe both in school and for after school activities, I shudder. 

Each year it slowly got better and as some of you know, when DD was in 3rd grade, I was on the committee to write our district allergy policy that over time created change, awareness, acceptance, etc....

And with each year of maturity, DD became more and more responsible for herself and required less and less accommodations.

Fast forward to now, DD is 15 and a sophomore.  (10 years later)

Last week was HS Spring Sport tryouts and the first time DD tried out for any HS sport.  After school activities have nothing to do with the school nurses.  We said nothing last week.

Today I sent an email to the coaches disclosing that DD has food allergies and asthma.  Sent them the link to the Auvi-Q demo video.  My email was met with kindness and suggested actions to keep her safe on the bench yet allow the players to snack and stay fueled for the games.  I waited until DD got home, spoke with her and emailed them back our thoughts which were immediately accepted.  By 3:00, we had a clear plan and it only took that long because I wanted to include DD.  3 emails.  Done!  The coach fully agrees and the focus is back on the sport.

We've come a long way in 10 years.  What a breath of fresh air!  Today is a good day!

Actually, 4 emails, he emailed back to say he agrees.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 03:19:33 PM by PurpleCat »

Offline Mookie86

Re: School Sports and Food Allergies
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 10:56:26 PM »
That's fantastic that it went so smoothly!  I hope she enjoys being on the team.