login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: 504 for entering college  (Read 6758 times)

Description:

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
504 for entering college
« on: March 15, 2015, 03:55:02 PM »
Sorry if this thread exists, didn't see one. My ds is a senior and I.just got notification for 504 meeting. What changes do I need to make for him entering college? He will be living at home.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: 504 for entering college
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 04:01:38 PM »
That's great. Yeah--we have a couple of related threads.  I'm not sure if we have one exactly like this. We really, really need to have a forum or a subforum for college. 

But wow--glad they initiated this.  Very cool.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 04:30:09 PM »
It's probably because they can't wait to get rid of us, lol! If you recall they switched all the allergy kids from 504 plans to iep and I was the lone resister.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

ninjaroll

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 04:50:32 PM »
Threads aside, the big change coming is the student must take responsibility to self-identify and self-advocate.  Pretty much postsecondary wants to see the student do it all - no parents.  Since there's no FAPE there's no safeguards for parents. 

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 05:31:39 PM »
And the experience of at least two members (both new I think) with freshmen bears that out. 

Colleges will see a sharp increase in students with FAs next year. And then more the next year.  And then the flood will hit them.

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 05:49:32 PM »
A friend of ours is a campus police officer and says he gets phone calls all the time from food allergy parents.

I'm not really worried about accommodations, wasn't even figuring we.would have a meeting this.year.  Just making sure I'm not missing anything.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

ninjaroll

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 06:16:22 PM »
Public safety has nothing to do with programs.  The BOT has more to do with campus police (including a move to armed, sworn force as many campuses are) than faculty or business affairs staff. 

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 06:35:37 PM »
See this compilation thread.

Maybe we should combine this thread (the last listed below) with the first thread in the list?  What do you think momm2boys?

College and Food Allergies Threads

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 06:49:22 PM »
Thanks Mac, that is fine with me.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 09:00:26 PM »
Public safety has nothing to do with programs.  The BOT has more to do with campus police (including a move to armed, sworn force as many campuses are) than faculty or business affairs staff.

Understood, was mentioning in context of increasing numbers of fa students they are seeing.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 08:09:47 AM »
And the experience of at least two members (both new I think) with freshmen bears that out. 

Colleges will see a sharp increase in students with FAs next year. And then more the next year.  And then the flood will hit them.

Yup!!  I've been using the analogy of a tsunami . . . our kids are the little wave that precedes and warns of impending, colossal wave.
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 08:31:35 AM »
That was the image I had in my head when I typed that, but I was too tired to think of the word. It wouldn't come to me. Lol.

Offline maeve

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 12:24:39 PM »
Yeah, my daughter's year will see a huge number of kids graduating HS with food allergies. When she was in first grade they put nearly all the allergy kids in the same class (two kids managed to escape that fate through parental intervention).  There were probably 20 or so kids out of 150/175 that have food allergies; that was at one ES in one grade. And that was only of the kids whose parents had notified the school of the child's allergy. Three ESs feed my DD's MS, so I would imagine that there are about 60 kids out of a class of 330-350 with food allergies.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 08:44:50 AM »
Meeting tomorrow. If anyone can think of anything different I need added specifically for college that we don't have now, I would greatly appreciate it!
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 09:13:22 AM »
He's living on campus or at home?