login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Suggestions Needed: Packed Lunch  (Read 5876 times)

Description:

Offline maeve

Suggestions Needed: Packed Lunch
« on: March 20, 2015, 04:05:41 PM »
DD was one of a handful of students picked to go on a field trip to the Supreme Court on Monday. We just found out about the trip this past Tuesday, and there would have been an information session about it today but school was cancelled. Unfortunately, I've been swamped at work and didn't remember to call the cafeteria manager at the Supreme Court until after 4 today.

I think I'll likely need to pack some light for her. She was told she could pack a lunch. I want to pack something that is not bulky.

DD is allergic to eggs, peanuts, and tree nuts. She'll eat turkey breast. She usually has that on wheat bread and has a yogurt tube, a couple of pieces of cheese, and some apple slices for lunch. I'm wracking my brain on lunch that might not require refrigeration. She doesn't eat soy nut butter or sunbutter.

She'll be traveling by Metro and will have to go through security, so I don't want to weigh her down too much. I figure she can purchase something to drink in the cafeteria and would probably be able to purchase chips or fruit.

"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline hedgehog

Re: Suggestions Needed: Packed Lunch
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 05:34:21 PM »
Go with the sandwich.  Freeze the bread overnight and make the sandwich in the morning.  I believe tube yogurt can also be frozen.
USA

ninjaroll

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 05:41:20 PM »
<------- sushi!!

Offline hedgehog

USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 10:05:42 PM »
How very exciting for her!

For speech tournaments DS has packed wraps with refried beans and cheese. They don't particularly need much refrigeration. He's done cream cheese and spinach with yellow or red bell pepper strips.  There are other wraps you can freeze, pack in a disposable container and send her with other disposable things so she doesn't have to carry something around. 

Other things:

Pringles lunch size containers
Nutrigrain Bar (don't know about egg)
Cutie orange

The first page and a half of this thread has some good suggestions.  I don't know how long the Sabra hummus has to be kept cold.  DS uses it, but he buys it for himself once he gets to destinations.  I don't buy it. 

Teen Traveling with School: Hotel Concerns and Meals Away
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 07:50:41 AM »
If you don't want to weigh her down with an ice pack, you can always freeze an orange and place it with her lunch.  Then she can toss it after she eats so she doesn't have to carry an ice pack around all day.  That's what I do when we fly, since ice packs are verboten.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US