login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Snack Safely and Allergence  (Read 2095 times)

Description: I'm so out of touch

Offline TwoDDs

Snack Safely and Allergence
« on: March 23, 2015, 01:04:41 PM »
I had never heard of these resources before they showed up on my Facebook newsfeed.  Now, they're not helpful for a lot of folks here who are dealing with multiple and less common allergies, but my daughter has just peanut, treenut and shellfish allergies - so if these resources are trustworthy, they could certainly make my life easier.

They seem to serve as a database of safer food choices, but they include not only those manufactures who disclose (as part of advertising) their allergen free practices, but other choices where the proprietor of the database has verified safe practices through direct contact with the manufacturer.

Is anyone familiar enough with either of these that they can weigh in on trustworthiness?

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Snack Safely and Allergence
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 01:57:57 PM »
Well, I recently sent a friend the Snack Safely peanut list after she asked for input for sending treat to class.  What was on the peanut one looked fine.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 03:37:54 PM »
I don't see which specific lists you are referring to.  There are a bunch out there.

I have never completely trusted them.  For me, "safe snack lists" were a good starting point but I have always called to double check for two reasons.  The person that created the list will have a different comfort zone than I do, particularly with "may contain" labels.  The information has changed since the list was developed, this is true even of my own lists.

Offline starlight

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 04:59:49 PM »
I've seen Snack Safely, and a lot of people on the PA board I frequent on FB trust it but I don't really like it. There are manufacturers on it who many people have had reactions to (Nabisco), but they recently removed Peeps and Mike & Ike's because some of them are packaged in facilities with nuts (despite being labeled as such)...?   :disappointed: