FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: No idea what to think  (Read 1812 times)

Description:

Offline stephenfrank7137

No idea what to think
« on: March 19, 2015, 09:16:51 AM »
My son had hives at age 1 on first exposure, we brought him to allergist(he also had asthma and excema) - He sking tested positive for all nuts.
Since then he never had a reaction of any kind. So we brought him in to have another test and he tested negative to all nuts- Yesterday he had the oral challenge. No issues, they first skin test and then fed him some peanuts etc.

Got home at around 1pm, and around 4 he was a little congested and nose was runny(6 hours after last exposure)...We called and the doc said not to worry it most likely wasn't related. Then 3am he woke up coughing and vomited a little. It very possible the vomiting was caused by the coughing. He then said his throat hurt. Its possible he has a cold and the drip caused a sore throat. Or he had a very delayed reaction..
After this I gave him benadryl and he had no hives or itching. We didnt take him in to the ER and maybe we should of, but I had the EPI out and sat over him until morning.

This is over 12 hours after the last exposure.
Wife will call the doctor today, he still says his throat is sore...but basically I dont know what to think..

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: No idea what to think
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 09:48:49 AM »
Because of the sore throat symptom, I am inclined to think it is not related.

It is possible though rare to have such a delayed reaction--but those probabilities don't matter much when we are living through something.

Benadryl can relieve symptoms unrelated to allergy.

I would just watch him today.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 04:14:53 PM »
How old is he? Is he old enough to distinguish the difference between his throat hurting and itching? Coughing and vomiting could cause his throat to hurt. I'm thinking if over the next few days it looks more like a cold I would consider it unrelated. If he is fine later or tomorrow i would worry it was a reaction.

I don't mean this at all judgementally, but how careful were you during his reaction free period? Did you avoid all may contains and made in a facility? Did you eat nuts around him or in your home? Basically, what I mean is, do you think he's had exposure since or no way at all?
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline stephenfrank7137

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 05:49:39 PM »
Hes been sick today, starting throwing up at school and then two other kids there were out...Hoping this was just a bad timing thing as two docs now suggested.

To answer your question, we avoided everything. I think one time we accidentally gave him something with a "made on equipment", the good news his little brother seems to be free and clear on the peanuts.

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 05:54:03 PM »
Fingers crossed its just a bug. Hope he feels better soon.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US