FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Why are Teens More Prone to Anaphylaxis Than Younger Kids?  (Read 6583 times)

Description:

Offline my3guys

An article posted in Reactions got me thinking.  I know I've always heard/read that teens are more at risk for anaphylaxis, and I've seen that attributed to increased likelihood of risk taking behavior. I thought the study below was worth noting.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/teens-have-higher-anaphylaxis-risk-younger-kids

In the article that was posted:
An interesting article

The child had other peanut reactions before, none like this. I wonder if teen hormones and body changes have any impact in the likelihood of severe anaphylaxis vs. a more mild reaction. I looked for information about it, and wasn't able to find anything on it.

I know I've read other anecdotal stories of having past mild reactions, people may get out of the habit of carrying the epipen or thinking of using it, and then they have a severe, swift reaction.

Please forgive the double post, I realized this may belong as a separate discussion and I'm not sure how much traffic that particular thread will get.

My own DS' past egg reactions were mild, and they've ramped up it seems to needing the epi, he will be 13 soon.

Anyone have thoughts or can point me to research on this topic?

Offline my3guys

Re: Why are Teens More Prone to Anaphylaxis Than Younger Kids?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 09:13:40 AM »
And I thought I was posting this in the teen section. Whoops! Mods, if you think it doesn't belong here, feel free to move it!

Offline maeve

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 08:58:02 PM »
An article posted in Reactions got me thinking.  I know I've always heard/read that teens are more at risk for anaphylaxis, and I've seen that attributed to increased likelihood of risk taking behavior. I thought the study below was worth noting.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/teens-have-higher-anaphylaxis-risk-younger-kids

In the article that was posted:
An interesting article

The child had other peanut reactions before, none like this. I wonder if teen hormones and body changes have any impact in the likelihood of severe anaphylaxis vs. a more mild reaction. I looked for information about it, and wasn't able to find anything on it.

I know I've read other anecdotal stories of having past mild reactions, people may get out of the habit of carrying the epipen or thinking of using it, and then they have a severe, swift reaction.

Please forgive the double post, I realized this may belong as a separate discussion and I'm not sure how much traffic that particular thread will get.

My own DS' past egg reactions were mild, and they've ramped up it seems to needing the epi, he will be 13 soon.

Anyone have thoughts or can point me to research on this topic?

I wouldn't be surprised if hormonal changes have an impact on allergic reactions. I know that my monthly cycle affects my immune system; I'm more likely to get sick in the day or two before my period arrives and to be sicker. I also think that my allergies are worse since I had a child. So I'm just extrapolating my anecdotal experiences to say I believe that hormonal changes have an impact.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 07:22:17 AM »
Anecdotally, I would agree - at least for women.  I think with women it's easier to pinpoint.

I know that while DS was going through puberty, his allergies were worse than ever.  Then they seemed to improve somewhat.  Still quite allergic (I'm talking EA's here), but not the holy mess he was during puberty.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 03:39:25 PM »
Nephew's PA wife is taking part in a study.  She had a bad reaction during desensitization that was attributed by the doctors doing the research to hormones, that is, the specific time of her cycle apparently made it worse.
USA