Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, Sedona

Started by Mezzo, March 12, 2015, 07:55:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mezzo

Any idea if the restaurants in Grand Canyon National Park (Grand Canyon Village, South Rim) have safe options for someone with PA? I see that the town just outside has a Wendy's and at least some kind of grocery store.

How about any recommendations for Flagstaff and the Sedona area?

For that matter, how about the Las Vegas airport?

Thanks!

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Penny

Hi Mezzo - I lived in Sedona for 35 years and left two + years ago, but because of PA, I seldom ate in restaurants. I used to eat at The Hideaway (Italian) because the owner was a friend and assured me they used no peanut products - except for a few desserts that were made elsewhere. It has since changed hands. I've eaten there once since the new owners took over and was again reassured that it is ok but I don't have much experience with the new menu.  There's a small local restaurant at the west end of west Sedona called Nicks Westside with family-type dining, but good-enough food.  http://www.nickswestside.com/ It is nothing fancy but I met my dad there for a glass of wine, and often dinner, once a week for years. One side is the restaurant but the bar side also has tables. If Tom is the bartender (cute guy with grey hair) he knows about my PA and is VERY careful with ingredients so order through him (tell him you know me). But the restaurant is not peanut-free.  If you're there on a Tuesday or Thursday night, look for my Dad and say hi!  He's an old guy (92) and has a Kiwi accent.  (Dell - not Penny)

I just remembered one more place - the Heartline Cafe. The owners have a son with PA. It's fancier and more expensive. I don't remember if it is peanut-free but they're very careful and knowledgeable about PA.  http://heartlinecafe.com/

Have fun!  If you drive through Oak Creek Canyon, north of Sedona - that's where I lived for 35 years. 

Penny

I just reread your post and didn't answer your question about Flagstaff.  I don't really have any experience with Flag restaurants - but there is a Chipotle if you can eat there? 

Mezzo

That's so great! Thank you!

I've been to Oak Creek Canyon - 20 years ago. That whole area is so pretty.

That would be so wild if I ran into your dad. I do know your whole name from being with this group for so many years, so I wouldn't sound too stupid asking him, anyway.  :)

Penny

Everyone at Nick's knows Dad. His first name is Les - last name is the same as mine.
If he were there, he'd get a kick out of meeting you but would talk your ear off. He may be 92 but he's still pretty sharp. 

I hope you have a lovely trip!

Mezzo

We mostly stuck to familiar chains. Tried Jack in the Box for the first time - we don't have those by us.

We ate at Bright Angel Restaurant in Grand Canyon National Park. They assured us that they handle food allergies all the time. Their only peanut item was Butterfinger ice cream which comes in a tub and is served in a basic way. DD had tomato-basil soup, which she was over the moon for, and spaghetti and meatballs with the pesto garnish left off. All was well.

We brought most of her breakfast food for the hotel in the park, but we ate at Maswick Lodge for breakfast and got her a packaged yogurt. We brought picnic food for lunch for a day hike in the canyon. There really is no cell service in there (and across stretches of Arizona), and it would be difficult to get out quickly if you needed medical attention. The hike up is strenuous.

Wow, Penny, Oak Creek Canyon is a gorgeous place! The drive would freak me out when it was slippery (okay, it freaked me out anyway), and they were clearing fallen rock from the road while we went through, so all kind of scary. But beautiful.

Here's where we ate:

Henderson: Taco Bell and Wendy's
Kingman: Jack in the Box, Arby's
Grand Canyon Village: Bright Angel Restaurant, Maswik Lodge, picnic lunch
Flagstaff: McDonald's, Burger King, Olive Garden, Red Lobster
Petrified Forest National Park: picnic
Sedona: Subway (no PB cookies)
Las Vegas, near the airport: Chipotle

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview