Safe rice paper wraps?

Started by hezzier, April 06, 2015, 06:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hezzier

So my sister made some rice paper wrapped spring rolls.  We did not let DS eat any, but thought if I could find a safe rice paper, he might like them.

It was a very simple recipe...carrots, cucumber, red peppers (all chopped match stick style), bean spouts and a little romaine wrapped in the rice paper.  Then she had 2 different dipping sauces.

ninjaroll

There are none known to me of US or Canadian manufacture though there may be an importer that rebrands.  The true country of origin for virtually all of them will be the same regardless of the rules of rebranding because their manufacture is so highly specialized.  You can pay more for a rebranded product and the importer may tell you they know about the facility but I'm not really sure how.

Look to the cumin recall thread for harmonized tariff shift, country of origin and manufacturer/importer/exporter.  If it were me I'd go straight to the source buying one of the Viet-Thai brands.  Typically they have English, Chinese, Vietnamese, and Thai on the label.

ninjaroll

http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2009/06/vietnamese-rice-paper-buying-tips.html

A blog entry on rice paper wraps and summer rolls.  Most Asian Americans reserve spring roll to mean the wheat wrapped kind because that's the direct translation in English from Chinese and Japanese 'spring roll' for that specific type of roll.  I don't know a lick of Viet or Thai but in English language conversation amongst Asian Americans we usually call the rice paper ones summer rolls.  I always thought cha gio was their version of spring roll but again, no idea about Viet or Thai culture unless they're ethnically Chinese (like Fukien or Cantonese).

tigerlily

We've contacted nayasoya for peanut/treenut/fish. No cross contamination. This evening I could post email response from company if you're interested.

However, not rice paper. Wheat. We're thrilled for egg roll and won ton options.

Menu options were sort of funny for a few weeks. We truly did celebrate the new food addition.
DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

ninjaroll

Wheat based ones like lumpia-style that do and do not have direct egg ingredient I can recommend, emphasis on they are not what OP is asking about and different from rice paper wrappers.  I'm assuming OP wants that non-fried non-wheat wrap style for veg.

What is the difference between a spring roll and a summer roll?

Egg rolls I always associate with some sort of additional layer of batter more like fish, or there's some sort of egg involved in the filling that I usually associate with Americanized Chinese food based loosely on Cantonese.  The super crisp spring rolls (wheat based and fried) are much thinner those are the small tightly rolled fried guys that I can pound down by the truckload when they're fresh.  Summer rolls are the fresh, rice-tapioca, non-fried with filling I associate with Viet-Thai.

Another reason OP may be interested to look towards rice paper wrappers is to avoid egg (I'm guessing on that, though).  Spring roll or egg roll wrappers not only often have egg but almost exclusively egg white to maintain the crispness for frying.  Case in point, Nasoya: Ingredients: Enriched Wheat Flour [Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Folic Acid], Water, Salt, Wheat Gluten, Vinegar, Eggs, Egg Whites, Cornstarch.

hezzier

tigerlily

Oops. I see the egg in the signature. I was too happy to write about eggrolls/won tons. We took some spring roll recipes and fried them. Felt it got us part of the way there with the fillings and sauces.

We've also used lettuce leaves before finding the wraps.
DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

hezzier

Once I get my kitchen back, I need to get DS back on french toast and then attempt scrambled egg so egg in the wheat based wrappers is not my first concern...it's that I don't fry anything.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview