imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Confused after IgG and IgE tests  (Read 4198 times)

Description:

Offline ViPeRx007

Confused after IgG and IgE tests
« on: April 27, 2015, 05:20:25 PM »
Hi, I'm new to this forum as food allergies are pretty new to me. I'm a 31 year old male who's had no known food allergies up to this point. I know there are people who deal with severe allergies and I feel kind of silly posting my "problem" which seems minor by comparison to some, but I'm just trying to get some different opinions.

I recently went to a naturopath for some anxiety issues that I have. I didn't feel like they were major but were enough to at least see what someone thought. I wasn't really interested in prescription meds either because, again, I don't think they're really major, so that's why I thought a naturopath might be a good option. In our discussion I mentioned having asthma (not severe by my own account; never hospitalized by it or super bad attacks) and some seasonal allergies which have gotten a little worse over the years but, still, I manage, and my symptoms seem relatively minor compared to some others I read about.

Anyway, long story short, she ordered some blood tests for me as a starting point; a general standard blood test and one that tested food allergies. Everything on the standard blood test came back pretty much normal, but the food allergy results were a bit of a surprise. Basically she told me that from this point forward I would never eat corn again.My IgE level for corn was 0.25 EIA (enough to fall into the level II category; the whole scale goes up to VI). I also had a number of foods that came up positive on the IgG test, which I believe I understood as being more food sensitivities than full blown allergies. Without going into every single detail, I'm essentially on a no corn, wheat, dairy, or gluten diet for the next 3 months because she suspects "leaky gut". The only one she told me I'd probably have to eliminate forever is corn, and the others, I assume, would be just something I have to make sure is in moderation.

So there you go. You can understand my surprise when I went in thinking that maybe I'd just get some supplements for my anxiety and be on my way, but instead I'm told I have to change my entire diet. I did get some supplements for the anxiety too, however...good, considering I ended up leaving with more of it.

The thing that is really hard for me to get into my head is the fact that I think back to all of the corn I've had over the years, in the form of popcorn, chips, just plain corn itself, and just about everything else on the planet that has corn in it, why do I not have more symptoms? Food allergies cause different reactions in people, I know, but when you look up food allergies online the most common symptoms you read are itchy/swollen mouth, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, cramps, rashes, headaches. I've had no noticeable, obvious reactions like those. The only thing I could possibly even match to it is the whole asthma/breathing thing, which I've just always had anyway; most people in my family do. And it seems to flair up on a more exercise-induced basis and during certain parts of the year (seasonal allergies). I can't single out any weird reactions to anything, specifically food-wise. Even the other more minor allergies; the wheat, cheese, and a few others, I've never noticed anything from them either, unless I'm just desensitized or something.

I understand that people can develop allergies at different times, or even outgrow some they've had earlier in life, but is there any chance at all that this is an overreaction or maybe the test isn't entirely accurate? What would you suggest? Maybe I'm just in denial or maybe I'm lucky that it caught something before it gets too bad, I don't really know, but I'd appreciate any input from others who are more experienced with allergies than I am. I have no real problems doing the 3-month "cleanse" diet to help regulate some things in my gut, but completely eliminating a food forever, especially one as widespread as corn, when I've had what I perceive to be no reactions to it is hard to comprehend.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 04:40:27 PM by ViPeRx007 »

Offline spacecanada

Re: Confused after IgG and IgE/EIA tests
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 06:50:46 PM »
I am sure someone will chime in with a better response, but naturopaths aren't qualified to diagnose food allergies, only allergists are.  Allergists will only diagnose food allergies if you have a history of reacting to those foods.  If you can eat normal servings of corn without any adverse symptoms, you simply aren't allergic to it.  This is a problem the allergic community has with naturopaths who like to meddle in food allergies - they tell people they are allergic to foods they aren't and then sometimes offer cures to allergies that never existed in the first place.  If you are at all concerned that you may have a true IgE-mediated food allergy (with symptoms as you mentioned: itchy mouth, hives, difficulty breathing, etc.), please make an appointment with a board-certified allergist.  People can suddenly develop food allergies at any age, even if they ate the food before without any issue. 

From the naturopath's standpoint, sensitivities to corn, gluten, and dairy are common enough to try eliminating them from your diet for a few months.  They are also ingredients in many processed foods, and by eliminating them, and thus most processed foods, you may feel better.  Tread this path with caution.  I hope you will end up feeling better in the long run.  I know a few excellent naturopaths, but also several who shouldn't be practicing some of the things they do (like diagnosing food allergies that may or may not exist.)

If you see no resolve with your current anxiety treatment, I highly recommend seeing a psychologist.  They can help you work through anxieties without the use of medication.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 08:09:33 AM »
I have no real problems doing the 3-month "cleanse" diet to help regulate some things in my gut, but completely eliminating a food forever, especially one as widespread as corn, when I've had what I perceive to be no reactions to it is hard to comprehend.

I wholeheartedly agree with you!

Reactions (or lack of reactions) trump testing.

I've had acquaintances do a similar cleanse for gluten.  For one the outcome was an actual intolerance that presented itself as a form of hand eczema.  For the others, they felt better but it did not change the underlying issue they were trying to solve.  They told me they felt better because they stopped eating processed foods, breads and baked goods and were doing more veggies and fruits and over time added gluten back into their diets.  No change.

Offline ViPeRx007

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 02:58:39 PM »
I am sure someone will chime in with a better response, but naturopaths aren't qualified to diagnose food allergies, only allergists are.  Allergists will only diagnose food allergies if you have a history of reacting to those foods.  If you can eat normal servings of corn without any adverse symptoms, you simply aren't allergic to it.  This is a problem the allergic community has with naturopaths who like to meddle in food allergies - they tell people they are allergic to foods they aren't and then sometimes offer cures to allergies that never existed in the first place.  If you are at all concerned that you may have a true IgE-mediated food allergy (with symptoms as you mentioned: itchy mouth, hives, difficulty breathing, etc.), please make an appointment with a board-certified allergist.  People can suddenly develop food allergies at any age, even if they ate the food before without any issue. 

From the naturopath's standpoint, sensitivities to corn, gluten, and dairy are common enough to try eliminating them from your diet for a few months.  They are also ingredients in many processed foods, and by eliminating them, and thus most processed foods, you may feel better.  Tread this path with caution.  I hope you will end up feeling better in the long run.  I know a few excellent naturopaths, but also several who shouldn't be practicing some of the things they do (like diagnosing food allergies that may or may not exist.)

If you see no resolve with your current anxiety treatment, I highly recommend seeing a psychologist.  They can help you work through anxieties without the use of medication.

I appreciate your input. The one positive thing from this is that I'm starting to question my whole perception of my anxiety. I need to learn that things are often not as bad as I seem to make them. Anyway, this isn't an anxiety support page so I don't want to get into that part much. I do understand what you're saying regarding naturopaths/allergists. I made the decision to see a naturopath, and I think, in certain ways, it was the right thing for me to do, but for the allergy stuff (which I didn't really expect in the first place) I'm not 100% sold either. That's why I'm here asking folks who are more experienced with this subject than I am.

Offline ViPeRx007

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 03:03:03 PM »
I have no real problems doing the 3-month "cleanse" diet to help regulate some things in my gut, but completely eliminating a food forever, especially one as widespread as corn, when I've had what I perceive to be no reactions to it is hard to comprehend.

I wholeheartedly agree with you!

Reactions (or lack of reactions) trump testing.

I've had acquaintances do a similar cleanse for gluten.  For one the outcome was an actual intolerance that presented itself as a form of hand eczema.  For the others, they felt better but it did not change the underlying issue they were trying to solve.  They told me they felt better because they stopped eating processed foods, breads and baked goods and were doing more veggies and fruits and over time added gluten back into their diets.  No change.

That's the thing. On one hand, I'm perfectly on board with the whole "3-month" thing, because you can take away the allergy stuff entirely and it's just a smarter way to eat in general. Everyone could benefit from not eating as much wheat, gluten, and dairy, and even corn (which I've heard is one of the hardest things for people to digest anyway) that's just common sense for anyone's diet. But to directly tell me "you're done eating corn for the rest of your life" is crazy to me, based on the whole "no obvious reaction" thing. I realize I appear to have some kind of negative reaction to corn on paper, but is it really THAT bad to have to go to such an extreme? Not a week ago, before I knew all this, I ate a big bowl of popcorn (Yes, I try to keep it somewhat healthy; nothing but coconut oil added...haha) and didn't bat an eye at it. Wouldn't an "eliminate it entirely forever" sort of allergy get pretty ticked off if I'm eating what is essentially 100%, straight-up corn? Or does it just mean I'm a ticking time bomb and any time I could have a crazy reaction to it? If that's the case, what is the chance of that happening? Is it worth spending the rest of my life worrying about corn in every little thing on a slim chance that I might have a terrible reaction it it?

Those are the questions I'm trying to figure out. The ONLY thing that says it's not that good is this piece of paper. And even that seems to be on the lower side of the severity scale.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 03:04:36 PM by ViPeRx007 »

ninjaroll

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 03:37:01 PM »
You're confused because your naturopath is confused. IgG measures tolerance, not allergy.  Eating healthy is not synonymous with allergen avoidance.  You asked for an opinion?  I think this person is taking your money. 

If you're concerned about IgE-mediated allergic reactions see a board certified allergist/immunologist who is well established in food anaphylaxis. If you want to eat healthier see a dietician.

If you want to save money dump the quack.

Offline ViPeRx007

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 04:05:07 PM »
You're confused because your naturopath is confused. IgG measures tolerance, not allergy.  Eating healthy is not synonymous with allergen avoidance.  You asked for an opinion?  I think this person is taking your money. 

If you're concerned about IgE-mediated allergic reactions see a board certified allergist/immunologist who is well established in food anaphylaxis. If you want to eat healthier see a dietician.

If you want to save money dump the quack.

I appreciate your comments and understand entirely what you're saying. I'm just gathering some feedback right now and trying to figure out my next course of action.

I am talking about an IgE test result though, so I don't think I'm entirely being scammed as you are suggesting. I got results of both IgG and IgE reactions which she did explain; IgE are immediate and can cause anaphylaxis, IgG are more sensitivities and may have delayed reactions but aren't a full blown allergy. If that's not right, maybe I am getting totally ripped off, but I'm pretty sure that's correct. Corn came up as 0.25 EIA (level II) on the IgE results. I'm just saying I've never noticed corn causing me bad, or even mildly obvious physical reactions. Asthma is the only thing that COULD be considered the reaction, but, as I said, even my asthma isn't terrible, and I've always had it; it runs in my family, my mom and brother both have it. I have some allergy symptoms in my head; sinus stuff, but I've always just assumed it was mainly outdoor seasonal allergies (which I have been tested for in the past from an allergist and am confirmed to have).  I've never had any indication that it's been any food allergies until this piece of paper says I have them, with corn being the main problem.

I know, you're going to just reiterate to me that I need to just go to an allergist if I want definitive real answers, and that's probably correct.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 04:08:43 PM by ViPeRx007 »

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 06:10:38 PM »
I agree with what the others have said.

FWIW, IgE tests have a rate of FALSE positives at about 50% and reaction history always trumps testing.  So, I'd think without a reaction history, you are not allergic. But, the best person to confirm that would be a board certified allergist well versed in diagnosing and treating food allergies.  I'm not sure what scale your 0.25 result was on, but an IgE test is generally considered negative at 0.35 k/Ul and below. The common IgE test to have is Immuno-CAP (sometimes referred to as CAP-RAST).  I'm guessing the EIA test is ELISA which, as far as I know, is an IgG test.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline ViPeRx007

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 04:39:59 PM »
I agree with what the others have said.

FWIW, IgE tests have a rate of FALSE positives at about 50% and reaction history always trumps testing.  So, I'd think without a reaction history, you are not allergic. But, the best person to confirm that would be a board certified allergist well versed in diagnosing and treating food allergies.  I'm not sure what scale your 0.25 result was on, but an IgE test is generally considered negative at 0.35 k/Ul and below. The common IgE test to have is Immuno-CAP (sometimes referred to as CAP-RAST).  I'm guessing the EIA test is ELISA which, as far as I know, is an IgG test.

I don't know what specific scale units it's measured in. It simply doesn't say on the reports I was given. One says IgG ELISA, the other says EIA & Immunoglobulins report (and shows scores as IgE). It just lists the sample name, the number and the class. At the bottom of the sheet with the IgE scores it has the following "IgE EIA RANGES":

< 0.05 = 0
0.05 - 0.08 = 0/I
0.07 - 0.15 = I
0.15 - 0.50 = II
0.50 - 2.50 = III
2.50 - 12.50 = IV
12.50 - 62.50 = V
> 62.50 = VI

For me, corn was the only one that was red (meaning positive, I guess) with a score of 0.25, enough to be in Class II by that scale above. Anyway, yea, as others and you are saying, I'd probably have to seek a second opinion for definitive proof.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 04:44:40 PM by ViPeRx007 »

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Confused after IgG and IgE tests
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 06:29:20 PM »
About IgG tests--really disregard that info.

Allergists who are doing a study (or practice) of desensitization (Oral Immunotherapy or Sublingual Immunotherapy) will use an IgG levels but as a reference for tracking against IgE levels. They don't use them to determine allergies or even sensitivities. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23199605

I would find a real allergist.  If you are not having reactions to corn, you are probably not allergic to it.  I will note that I tested positive for sesame and did not react to it.  But then I started to.  :-/  On the day I got my test results (as an adult), I went and poured some sesame seeds on a spoon and ate them (stupid thing to do, btw), and did not react.  I hadn't been reacting to sesame.  I didn't for a few months yet.  but then YUP.  Started to. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline ViPeRx007

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 08:52:27 PM »
About IgG tests--really disregard that info.

Allergists who are doing a study (or practice) of desensitization (Oral Immunotherapy or Sublingual Immunotherapy) will use an IgG levels but as a reference for tracking against IgE levels. They don't use them to determine allergies or even sensitivities. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23199605

I would find a real allergist.  If you are not having reactions to corn, you are probably not allergic to it.  I will note that I tested positive for sesame and did not react to it.  But then I started to.  :-/  On the day I got my test results (as an adult), I went and poured some sesame seeds on a spoon and ate them (stupid thing to do, btw), and did not react.  I hadn't been reacting to sesame.  I didn't for a few months yet.  but then YUP.  Started to.

That's interesting. Do you remember how high your number was? It probably doesn't matter much. You all seem to be getting results with a different scale than mine so I doubt there's much of a comparison. I would just be curious to see where on the scale you were (I'm II on a scale that goes to VI). I'll just repeat what I've said in other responses. I understand that it does seem like my body could have some negative reaction to corn, but it HAS to be on the lower end of things, assuming the test is accurate to begin with. Like you said with sesame, sure, there's a chance it could get worse, but I assume there's a converse to that and that there's also a chance it could stay right where it is or even improve over time. Our bodies are always changing and that's just a normal part of every person on this planet.

Ultimately, if my chance of having a horrible reaction to corn is a small percentage, it's definitely good to know and be aware of, but it would be silly to be worried for the rest of my life about every little thing that has corn in it then, I would think. Maybe I'm dumb and careless, but I think some of these naturopath and green/organic/etc people, can go a bit overboard with it. I totally understand trying to eat clean and healthy, that's all great and I'm not against that at all, but I've always been a proponent of the "everything in moderation" idea. Could I eat healthier than I have been? Absolutely. The information I've gotten so far from this particular naturopath has definitely made me more conscious of that, which, to me, has been worth the money, regardless of the validity/ of the results.

It would still probably be wise to get a second opinion. Most of you seem fairly leery about what I've been told. It's pretty much confirmed my own reservations about it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 09:01:14 PM by ViPeRx007 »

Offline ViPeRx007

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 08:55:51 PM »
**sorry, double post**
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 09:01:51 PM by ViPeRx007 »

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 02:06:16 PM »
For some perspective on the (in)accuracy of allergy testing, I test negative to my life-threatening allergens and positive to some I can eat in great quantities without symptoms. Testing means nothing without a reaction history.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 07:01:29 PM »
IgG is not a measure of food sensitivities or food allergies.

IgE testing is ONLY supposed to be used for people who have had IgE mediated food allergic reactions such as hives, swelling, breathing trouble, etc.  If you have been eating corn and not having reactions then you are not allergic to it by definition, therefore no need to worry about suddenly having a scary reaction.

I saw a naturopath for years and brought my child to her, too.  She never ever diagnosed my son with the actual real potentially life threatening food allergies he has and she never diagnosed me with the allergic condition I have.  She put us on a lot of supplements, tinctures, etc.  She did all sorts of testing.

I really feel like you should just go stand at the toilet and dump some money straight down it.  You would save your time at least that way. 

I think naturopaths can be good at treating very minor things --colds, sore throats, general nutrition, in some cases.  But they are not qualified to handle food allergies or to diagnose them.  They are not qualified to treat mental health issues.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 07:35:40 AM »
I really can't add anything that you haven't already read here - you've gotten great advice.  Allergies are diagnosed based on a combination of testing and reaction history.  Testing without history means very little, if not nothing.

I also took my son to a Naturopath who told me to feed him peanut butter because it was such a "strong" food for him.  I didn't listen, because my gut told me it would be a mistake.  A few weeks later he had an accidental exposure, and let's just say, the rest is history.  ~) 

IT you want to put your mind to rest, seek out a board-certified allergist who is knowledgeable about food allergies.  Not all allergists are well versed in FA's, so that distinction is important.

Good luck to you.  I'm glad you're following your (possibly leaky) gut exploring further.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US