imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: new please help  (Read 6606 times)

Description:

Amanda Johnson

new please help
« on: May 03, 2015, 10:43:21 PM »
New to all this and didn't even know about cross contamination.
So what is your experience with Hostess, frito lay, kelloggs, chef boyardee, Ragu, Nabisco, Pepperidge farm bread, and what about cheeses?

I can't find information and I am just avoiding tree nuts/peanuts.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: new please help
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 06:18:15 AM »
What I have found:

Frito Lay labels for shared lines of your allergens. So does
Pepperidge Farm
Keebler
Betty Crocker
Hershey's

We don't use Duncan Hines because ten to fifteen  years ago people were having issues with their not labeling for shares lines (by issues I mean reactions). Out of habit I don't buy them now.

We have trusted Kellogg's labeling.  We've bought Ragu for pizza making and other sauces for pasta and have never had a problem with DS' allergies (he outgrew TNA six or so years ago). I had a problem one time, but you'll see below that I have a different set of allergens.

I would say the biggest limitations with store bought food have been getting things made in the US and Canada only unless specifically known (exceptions: coconut milk and water chestnuts for us), no bakery items, and cereals and granola bars.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Princess Cheese

• The Princess of Cheese
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 06:45:37 PM »
I use all Frito Lay chips, and use the nacho cheese dips and salsa.  Never use Pepperidge Farm.. not sure why, but have never bought it.  Keebler I trust, haven't bought it in a while.  Betty Crocker is a big fat yes!  Hershey's yes, read the labels though.  Chef Boyardee, I use as well.   No Nabisco.  Cheese I use Sargento or Kraft.

Mine is peanut/tree nut/fish/shellfish
U.S.A. || Adult || PN/TNA  ||
I also avoid fish and shellfish. 

Mommy to 5 amazing kids!! :)
2 girls & 3 boys <3

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 09:51:24 PM »
Pepperidge Farm labelled for cross contamination last I checked and is our primary bread brand ever since we lost Arnold. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline VLDmom

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 10:22:34 PM »
Why not nabisco do they just not label?

Good to hear about kelloggs I love them. Kraft I had heard conflicting so that's good to hear.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 06:04:06 AM »
Pepperidge Farm labelled for cross contamination last I checked and is our primary bread brand ever since we lost Arnold.

This.    It's really our only bread source.

I've never had trouble with Nabisco, though I know other's don't trust them.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 06:13:38 AM »
We have a lot of nabisco in our pantry. We don't have any problems.

Pepperodge Farm = :heart: because they do label so well. Yeah, about once a year we succumb to the Milanos temptation. Works for us.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 06:28:21 AM »
we also have used Nabisco products for 15 years of PA/TNA, and egg allergy, and have never had any problems or reactions to their products.  We do check labels.  I do think, in recent years, their manufacturers have changed, so you may want to call yourself. 

we use Oreos all the time.  Also use Cheeze-its, Nilla Wafers, graham crackers, Ritz, Triscuits, Wheat Thins, all regularly. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline Princess Cheese

• The Princess of Cheese
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 01:50:00 PM »
I guess just the thought of peanut butter oreos scare me away from Nabisco.. lol!  As if I need to eat anymore sweets lol.

2 girls & 3 boys <3

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 08:07:56 PM »
The PB Oreos were always made in a different facility.

Haven't Oreos and some other items been spun off tonMondelez?

Goya is another company that I trust to label well.
N.E. US

Offline Princess Cheese

• The Princess of Cheese
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 07:52:29 PM »
So people use the Nabisco graham crackers then?

2 girls & 3 boys <3

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 08:07:47 PM »
So people use the Nabisco graham crackers then?
I've never had a problem with them, and frankly prefer the taste to Keebler.
N.E. US

Offline Princess Cheese

• The Princess of Cheese
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 08:11:12 PM »
Wow!  Are you pn/tna?

2 girls & 3 boys <3

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 08:12:41 PM »
DS is allergic to PN, TN, sesame and chick peas.
N.E. US

Offline Jessica

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 04:30:45 AM »
I must be talking to the wrong people. Pepperidge Farm told me they clean well between products and will label if they feel there is cross contamination despite thorough cleaning but that they do not have any dedicated lines or facilities. In fact I was told this by all Campbell's brands, all of which we avoid. We also avoid Ragu (which is Unilever?) because of the same thing and I think Chef Boyardee is Con Agra which we mostly avoid (same issue). Pepperidge Farm has also told people (including me) that if the concern is peanuts or tree nuts, none of their products contain peanut (not true-the refrigerated biscuits contain peanut flour) and that nearly everything else BUT graham goldfish are safe. Only thing is, graham goldfish have no warning and PF themselves are telling people they aren't safe. So the only way to know is to call? No thanks. Here's what they sent me in the past:

Pepperidge Farm follows all government regulations regarding the labeling of our products. In the case of the top 8 allergens (peanuts, tree nuts, dairy, eggs, fish, wheat, soy and shellfish) we list those ingredients in the product ingredient statement, no matter how small the amount might be. We do not include any of those items under the broader listings of "spices" or "natural flavors". We recommend that consumers always check the ingredient statement and evaluate the product based on the statement.
If your concern is with Peanuts and Tree Nuts, I can tell you that at this point in time, none of our Goldfish Crackers(excluding Goldfish Grahams), Bread, Hamburger and Hot Dog Rolls, Croutons, Stuffing, Turnovers, Garlic Breads and Puff Pastry products currently use this ingredient. A few of our Cookie and Layer Cake products do contain Tree Nuts, but no Peanuts.
Our company policy is to clean and sanitize production equipment to minimize the risk of cross contact with any top allergens. In the case of just a handful of products, where we feel that despite the application of good manufacturing practices there may be some risk of cross contact, we will use a "may contain" statement on the label. Our decision to use a "May Contain" statement is made on a product-by-product basis with consumer safety being the ultimate goal.
So as a summary, if the ingredient statement does not list the allergen, and there is no "may contain" statement in the ingredient statement, you can be assured that we have done our best to eliminate cross contact and are not aware of any top allergen in the product.

For cheese we use sargento. They told me their natural cheeses are made in a peanut and tree nut free facility.

Last time I checked with Mondelez (Nabisco) they told me they do not have any dedicated lines but usually plain and double stuff oreos are on their own lines. No dedicated facilities whatsoever. The time before they told me something totally different. We do use any oreos without a warning though, with caution. I believe there's a recent write-up about oreos at snacksafely.com. We avoid all other Nabisco/Mondelez other than the occasional splurge on fig newtons and I will get their graham crackers if I can't find Keebler ones.

We trust any Hostess EXCEPT for anything made in plant 23000, which has walnuts in it.

Kellogg's/Keebler's will label for shared lines for peanut and tree nut only. They do not label for shared facilities.

We trust Frito Lay's labeling for peanut/tree nut.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA