Prenatal Vits?

Started by RegularHere, January 04, 2012, 07:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RegularHere

Not wanting to share who I am as of right now. I will say I'm not pregnant, but my Doc. said to start taking them since we will be trying soon.

But any safe brands of prenatals? I'm peanut/tree nut allergic. I looked at One a Day and the ones in a purple box. The gummy ones grossed me out.  :tongue:

AllergyMum

Sorry I don't know, but I want to wish you the best of luck.

I would suggest speaking to your doctor about how much folic acid to take.  Also there is also issues about taking too much vitmine A to take, so you should clarify this also with your doctor.

Also there is an amazing book that I would suggest: Taking Charge of Your Fertility: The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control, Pregnancy Achievement and Reproductive Health.  It was really an intersting & helpful read when we were trying to have our son.
http://www.amazon.com/Taking-Charge-Your-Fertility-Reproductive/dp/0060937645
DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada

Princess Cheese

I was always told that if I couldn't take prenatals, take Flintstones.. I think it's 2/day.. and they taste way better! lol
U.S.A. || Adult || PN/TNA  ||
I also avoid fish and shellfish. 

Mommy to 5 amazing kids!! :)
2 girls & 3 boys <3

YouKnowWho

I find I get better answers and labeling at the local independent health food stores (not the ones in the mall).  Nutrition Now comes to mind as a brand - but not sure it was the prenatals that I used with them or not...
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

RegularHere

I will have to look into some of those then. Thanks YKW, and everyone!

I did talk to my gyno, and she said any should be ok for me. I do have to watch Iron because sometimes it makes me sick to my stomach.

Also, I don't want to give away a lot yet, but I have OAS to peaches, and I think Flintstone vits. have a peach one in them. Thank you though Cheese!!!

Princess Cheese

2 girls & 3 boys <3

rebekahc

Some prenatal vitamins used to contain peanut oil (Nature Made), but I'm not sure how current the info is.  I'd just carefully check the label of any you're interested in.  Centrum Materna states specifically on their FAQ that it does not contain peanut oil.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

krasota

The original CitraNatal doesn't have treenuts/peanuts. Or gluten, soy, carrots, papaya . . . The other formulations all have soy issues (packaged in a blisterpack with a soy-containing DHA supplement).  I do not know if the DHA supps are a peanut/treenut issue.  Prescription-only.  It's the only prenatal vitamin I can take.  It's not listed on their website--I had to call and ask about it.  They have excellent customer service.

It doesn't have much folic acid--I take extra.  Downside is that the Citranatal family of supplements all contain stool softeners to help with the iron.  Given my history of celiac disease, I pretty much never need help along those lines.  But as long as I'm not getting dehydrated, I'm good. 

Now, I did see that CVS has a store brand prenatal which lists that it's free of most everything.  I meant to call and ask about the source of the vitamin E.  I can't have soy-derived/carried tocopherols and the label doesn't specify which form the vitamin has, though it's likely to be the synthetic. 
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

RegularHere

I emailed one a day and got this response:

Dear Mrs.----,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Bayer HealthCare.  We appreciate your
interest in our One-A-Day® Women's Prenatal Multivitamin.

Peanuts and tree nuts are not used in our formula. Furthermore, our ingredient
suppliers have confirmed that none of the ingredients produced for use in this
formula are derived from tree nuts or peanuts.

In appreciation of your interest, we will be sending you a coupon booklet via
U.S. Mail.  You can expect to receive your coupons in the next 7-10 business
days.

If I may be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Paul Halbach
Consumer Advisor

He also provided more contact information at the bottom, which I thought was pretty nice.

SweetandSour

I tried the One A Day. I have not tried the DHA supplement that comes with it, but so far, so good with it.
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Princess Cheese

Bumping this back up, I need to start taking a prenatal since we may start trying for #6, and the hair and nail growth benefit is just an added perk.  What does everyone use?  I'm peanut/treenut/fish/seafood.  Almost everything I have seen either has nuts or fish oil.

2 girls & 3 boys <3

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview