FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Specific Food Allergies > Peanut/Tree Nut Allergy

Interpreting peanut/treenut rast results

(1/1)

brownie:
I posted on the main board about whether to challenge but maybe I should have asked for numbers specifically.  I thought I had seen a scale on the board somewhere but can't locate it.  I am confused and wondering if anyone has more information...

Where does a 0.59 rast for almond fall on the scale of anticipated seriousness / class? Well aware numbers don't necessarily predict, but is this a range to oral challenge traditionally?  The old scale I have from LabCorp states this is still Class III which seems to disagree with our current doc, who says <0.35 is undetectable and "negative".

Brownie

spacecanada:
The chart I had from my GP years ago (2002) is this:

ImmunoCAP RAST (units are kU/L)
Class 0 = <0.35 (absent/undetectable)
Class 1 = 0.35 - <0.7
Class 2 = 0.7 - <3.5
Class 3 = 3.5 - <17.5
Class 4 = 17.5 - <50
Class 5 = 50 - <100
Class 6 = 100+
(Multiple health sites have the same numbers.)

I remember reading and just looked up the values for 95% negative (unlikely allergic) and 95% positive (likely allergic) for different allergens.  95% negative chance of allergy level for all listed allergens on the list was 0.35 (pending reaction history). 95% positive chance of allergy levels were: Egg = 7, Peanut = 14, Milk = 15, Fish = 20, Soy = 65, Wheat = 80.  So maybe the number for 95% positive for almonds is higher than the number you received on your test, which could be the reason they want to do the challenge?

Best of luck.

brownie:
Thanks! These numbers sound more like what our current doc is reporting, which makes him a class I.  Brownie

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version