login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Pita Bread  (Read 13498 times)

Description:

Offline SilverLining

Pita Bread
« on: May 27, 2015, 11:41:24 PM »
Anyone know of a pita bread safe for peanut and sesame allergy?

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Pita Bread
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 05:59:45 AM »
I'm in the U.S., but unfortunately I haven't found one that is safe for sesame.  :disappointed:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 06:57:28 AM »
Have you ever heard of Flatout bread? Their website says peanut and nut free, and I didn't notice sesame as an added ingredient. I've sent them an e-mail.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 07:49:47 AM »
Flat Out bread is not safe last time I checked.  We used it when it first came out for DD especially for making pizza but later they added sesame to some of their items.  Maybe this has changed again?  It would be nice if it did.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 07:51:55 AM by PurpleCat »

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 08:05:21 AM »
If they respond I'll post. The package in the store here comes from the US I think.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 06:53:32 AM »
Actually, some Flat Out bread is in fact safe for sesame. They only run sesame on one line. The way to identify the line is in the Flat Out thread. I'll see if I can find it.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 06:57:30 AM »

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 09:15:26 AM »
The company can't even bother responding to my e-mail.  I'll give my money to someone else.

There is a huge BBQ we are invited to. The hostess asked me if there are safe pita breads she can buy. If not, she'll buy some that do not actually have sesame seeds, and I can bring bread/buns for myself.

I was planning to pick some of this up, see if it's good, then if safe and good, suggest it to the hostess.

But...they've blown it. With no printed may contain, I would want up to date information from them...in case they've changed things.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 10:02:35 AM »
How long ago did you email them?

"They've blown it??" Thry are not required in the U.S. to label that way. Unfortunately. But if I said screw it to every company in the US that didn't label for may contain sesame, I'd eat little but fresh fruit and veggies all the time.

They were very responsive to me. DS likes their stuff.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 10:05:16 AM »
And this email was nine months ago, and we've eaten their stuff lately.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 10:47:04 AM »
How long ago did you email them?

"They've blown it??" Thry are not required in the U.S. to label that way. Unfortunately. But if I said screw it to every company in the US that didn't label for may contain sesame, I'd eat little but fresh fruit and veggies all the time.

They were very responsive to me. DS likes their stuff.

By not responding they have "blown it".  Life is to short for me to sit around waiting for a company to let me know whether or not their food will kill me.  I need time to purchase it, try it, and let the hostess know in time for her to shop. 

This is not an e-mail that they should need a lot of research time for. Either they know it's a safe area....or it's not. And when a company does need research time a polite, we are looking into this would be appreciated.

My rules for myself....if a company does not include my allergen as a listed "may contain" then I want a current answer when I become a new customer.

I apologize if my previous response offended you, it was definitely not my intention. I actually do appreciate that you posted the link. thank you. Which I should have said earlier. Maybe my rules for me are stricter than other people, which is OK. And I would feel different if I had been eating it all along.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 11:25:28 AM »
But how long have you given them? We had a long holiday weekend. They could be backed up. You could just be farther along in the queue, not that it's a hard question.

I didn't hearfrom one company about a product for a couple of weeks.  They likely forgot about me. But I like their products and I can't write them off--they are the only ones I have found. So I called them again.

Having supervised a customer service staff I understand that there are times that are busier than others. And sometimes things unfortunately fall through the cracks. At a managerial level you then try to make it up to the customer. :-/

But I'd you emailed them this week, I wouldn't assume you've fallen through the cracks--just that they're busy and dealing with things as best they can.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 08:18:32 AM »
To misquote Ron White; I don't care why they haven't responded. I only care that they haven't responded.

The host and hostess have gone out of their way to not only make this party safe for me, but also all inclusive. Usually when they call and ask "what company makes this safe for you" I can answer immediately. This time I couldn't so I said I'd check. But I will not leave them running around last minute to find enough of the safe product.

They will purchase product that does not actually contain my allergens, and I'll bring safe-for-me bread. And I'm OK with that.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 03:12:01 PM »
Flat Out bread is not safe last time I checked.  We used it when it first came out for DD especially for making pizza but later they added sesame to some of their items.  Maybe this has changed again?  It would be nice if it did.

Here's the reply I received.

We do use sesame in our facility.  Any time this product is ran we perform a full allergen clean-up following the run, followed by an allergen test to verify cleaning was thorough enough to remove all sesame from the equipment.  Feed free to reach out with any additional questions.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 08:21:34 AM »
Kangaroo Brands!!  Yea.  I found them at Target.  I learned about them on the sesame FB group. 

http://kangaroobrands.com/pita-products/breads