Edema

Started by notashrimpwimp, June 14, 2015, 04:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

notashrimpwimp

Quick question:

I noticed that a lot of sites state that edema is common in allergic reactions. They indicate that swelling in the respiratory system is definitely cause for concern, along with that of the tongue.

Does edema from an allergic reaction manifest elsewhere in the body? I know the last time I went to the hospital they asked if any part of my body was swollen.

LinksEtc

Dd got a swollen eye twice w/sesame ... once when she was a baby during her initial rxn & once with an exposure a couple of years ago.

Janelle205

For food allergies, it's common for me to get a certain amount of facial swelling.  Eyes, lips, etc.  I don't generally get swelling in other parts of my body from foods, just hives.  Insect bites will lead to a ridiculous amount of swelling in the area of the body that was bitten - way way beyond what it would be normal to expect.

GoingNuts

Animal exposure (dogs) have made DS's entire face swell up like a balloon.  Touch reaction to PB did once as well.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Janelle205

Oh, same with the animal exposure here as well, but for me it's cats.  Last time I was in a cat household, DH had to lead me out to the car - my eyes had swelled shut, watering uncontrollably, and my lips were touching my nose.  Forgot about that one.

becca

Dd has had an eye swell from contact, I assume.  It was limited to her eye, and got better with washing, and time.  Did not progress.  I had some hand swelling after a contrast dye for a CT scan(my first time exposure).  And sinus congestion and headache.  So, the next time, I had a huge does of prednisone before the dye was administered. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

notashrimpwimp

My tongue was swollen after eating chicken. I had noticed swelling elsewhere that disappeared with Benadryl, which prompted my question.

Thanks!

spacecanada

I've had a swollen tongue (among other symptoms) from eating potato and a swollen eye from trace contact to peanuts or tree nuts (via my hand touching something then touching my eye).

I have seen major facial swelling (in photos) due to allergic reactions, so I can see it being a common reaction.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview