login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Training at school  (Read 3545 times)

Description:

Offline fuji

Training at school
« on: June 07, 2015, 09:56:57 PM »
I know there is probably not a specific answer to my question, I'm just looking for the "usual" answer. If there is one! ;D
Who "usually" does the training for school personnel on anaphylaxis, Epi training and general food allergy awareness?

Apparently last year the principal hired (or asked someone he knew, IDK) from about 3 hours away to do the training. I don't know if the training was sufficient or not, but I called the public health nurse who is now (as of about 6 months ago) the school nurse for all three schools in town and she had no idea. She was not any part of the training whatsoever, but is looking into doing the training this year.
Me: Mild hayfever, asthma
DH: Mild hayfever
DS24: Grass allergy, very mild hayfever
DS16: Severe grass allergy, mild hayfever
DD14: Peanut allergy, very mild hayfever

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Training at school
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 12:10:11 AM »
The head nurse for the school district has done it in elem, MS and HS (in two different states) for us.

Okay, so when DS was little (K?) I actually trained the entire school staff. :misspeak: but that was 12 years ago--early days for awareness yet.

(Edited to correct the many, many typos/autocorrects)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 10:00:19 AM by Macabre »
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 07:15:04 AM »
All school nurses here train the staff in their buildings every year during teacher orientation meetings just before school starts.

Offline fuji

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 12:37:52 PM »
Thanks! It seemed logical to me that the school nurse would do it! At the beginning of last year there was no school nurse but there has always been a public health nurse! I'm just not sure why he wouldn't have asked her instead of having someone come from 3 hours away! I'm trying to understand these rural ways, but I'm a city folk and I just don't get it!  ???

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 05:12:17 AM »
If there is school nurse, then that is typically who does it . . .

The public health nurse is actualy employee of the county rather than the school district?  It is possible that the charter for the PHNs and relationship with school did not allow for this training for some reason? 

The school DID need to get ana / epi training somehow.  It would be interesting to know more about who actually was hired to do it and how this was paid for?  (Just me, musing.)  Not saying you should post that detail here, but suggesting if you really want to know who/why then there may be some financial info and other details available via FOIA and also in the records at school board meetings and in school regulatons.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 05:13:29 AM »
I am moving this question / discussion down into the regular Schools area as it seems better fit.   :)
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline fuji

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 09:04:59 AM »
Yes, ajsfolks2! I am just musing at this point! Hoping the curiosity doesn't kill this cat! ~)

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 03:25:22 PM »
Our schools are contracted with the local department of public health-- a public health nurse does trainings upon request.  This is actually a pretty awesome arrangement, because it turns out that the nurse who does those trainings has a child with a LTFA, and also has "no skin in the game" as a school staffer, if you KWIM.  So it's VERY thorough training, and done by someone who has no interest in minimizing accommodations for any individual students-- it's also someone that does a LOT of those trainings around the county, in all kinds of childcare and school settings.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline joanna5

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 08:56:51 PM »
The school nurses do it twice a year here.
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs