GoPicnic

Started by Macabre, June 15, 2015, 11:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macabre

DS has used the Sunbutter meals for the last year, and they've been fine for him.  I would like to order the individual servings of the black bean dip.  That would be an amazing thing.

I did call them about cross contamination when packing. Here's the chat conversation:

Mac: I have some questions about allergens

CustomerServiceGuy: Hello Mac--how can I help you?
Sure! I would be happy to assist.

Mac: for the Kale Edamame, Black Bean and 3 Bean dips, are any of them produced on teh same lines that produce peanuts or treenuts?
the same equipment

CustomerServiceGuy: To clarify, are you speaking about just the dips themselves, not the meals?

Mac: Just the dips. The meals they come in are unsafe for my child, but I am hoping the dips themselves are not.
Second question: should I have confidence that the Sunbutter meal is packaged in such a way as to not risk cross contamination from your peanutty products?

CustomerServiceGuy: We don't have any specific allergen information listed for those dips, and I believe they may be produced in shared facility, but with separate rooms. For more specifics on those dips, I can reach out to our operatons team and get back to you with a solid answer. I know this information is critical when purchasing for someone with a nut allergy!

Mac: That would be awesome.

CustomerServiceGuy: As for the Sunbutter & Crackers meal:

Mac: you have my email address?

CustomerServiceGuy: Yes, all items included in that meal are manufactured/produced in allergen safe facilitys. It is our only 100% nut-free ready-to-eat meal. The only warning we do list is that the meal itself is packaged in a facility that also handles peanuts and tree nuts. Meaning that the individual, sealed component items are assembled into the cardboard meal box in a facility that also handles nuts.
And yep! macname@email.com

Mac: Right. Aware of that. But what are your practices about that? Are people packing them, and do they change gloves or wash hands before packing the sunbutter meals? Or are machines cleaned between?

CustomerServiceGuy: Machines are definitely cleaned between. And at our packing facilities, I'm fairly certain they are only dealing with pre-sealed products.

Mac: Right--but there will be peanut protein on the outside of the peanutty presealed products. It's rather impossible for that not to be the case. We've had good luck with the Sunbutter meals, but I was telling a friend about them, and she was concerend about cross contamination during packing.

CustomerServiceGuy: Definitely understand! I know we have set practices in place to prevent cross-contamination, and I apologize that I can't provide detailed specifics to you live at the moment.

We'd obviously want to ensure you have the most detailed information possible, and I certainly don't want to misquote you anything, which is why I want to follow up with our operational director to get more detailed information and confirm the specifics regarding the dip production and the measures we take to prevent cross-contamination in our packing facilities.

Mac: Okay. Thanks.

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Macabre

Other threads where GoPicnic meals are mentioned:

Re: Teen Traveling with School: Hotel Concerns and Meals Away

High school trip to NYC

And here is a picture of the meal we've bought:

Quote from: Macabre on February 12, 2015, 08:41:10 PM
DS leaves tomorrow.  On the way there he has an hour layover at an airport he's very familiar with. 

On the way home he has a layover at O'Hare.  I struggle to find something to eat when I'm there.  His layover is only an hour, so I wanted him to take the Go Picnic meal he has safely had before--with Sunbutter. 

But I went to three Targets and couldn't find he Sunbutter one.  :(

However, I did find some roasted chick peas that are made on dedicated nut fee equipment, Enjoy Life Coco Loco bars and Nutella bread stick dips.  So he'll use those for dinner on the way home. 

I'm a wee bit nervous about his going through O'Hare, but not too much. 

He is flying alone on this trip, as his team is taking Delta. 

edited to add:  The roasted Chickpeas are The Good Bean.  They are made on dedicated equipment, but their "No Nut Bars" are NOT.  Ironically.  They're good, provide protein and are filling.  They can be found in the canned bean aisle at Target (not with the snacks). 

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview