login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: detection of major food allergies in animiotic fluid  (Read 1846 times)

Description:

Offline eragon

Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
Re: detection of major food allergies in animiotic fluid
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 11:07:50 AM »
Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Ingestion of food allergens present in maternal milk during breastfeeding has been hypothesized as a gateway to sensitization to food; however, this process could develop during pregnancy, as the maternal-fetal interface develops a Th2- and Treg-mediated environment to protect the fetus. We hypothesized that in these surroundings, unborn children are exposed to food allergens contained in the mother's diet, possibly giving rise to first sensitization.

METHODS:

The presence of allergens in utero was studied by analyzing amniotic fluid (AF) samples in two different stages of pregnancy: at 15-20 weeks and after delivery at term. An antibody microarray was developed to test for the most common food allergens. The array detects the presence of ten allergens from milk, fruit, egg, fish, nuts, and wheat.

RESULTS:

AF from 20 pregnant women was collected: eight after delivery at term and 12 from women who underwent diagnostic amniocentesis between weeks 15 and 20 of gestation. The presence of allergens was detected in all samples. Samples from amniocentesis had a higher allergen concentration than samples after delivery at term.

CONCLUSIONS:

We demonstrated the presence of intact major food allergens in AF samples. This early contact could explain subsequent sensitization to foods never eaten before.

© 2016 John Wiley & Sons A/S. Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.

I have always suspected that the massive amount of peanut butter I ate during pregnancy and while breastfeeding DS was likely contributory to his anaphylaxis . . . and perhaps other health issues.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline Puddles

Re: detection of major food allergies in animiotic fluid
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 07:25:50 AM »
Sounds more like they detected allergens not allergies.

Did anyone think they wouldn't? When pregnant, some of the vitamins, nutrients, protein all go to the baby. So why wouldn't it be in the amniotic fluid.

Maybe they should start testing donated blood for major allergens.