login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Swollen ears  (Read 2079 times)

Description: Could this be an allergy symptom?

Offline notashrimpwimp

Swollen ears
« on: June 23, 2015, 01:57:12 AM »
As a prophylactic to avoid an allergic reaction, I donned a mask that covered my mouth and nose. Despite wearing it, I am flushed and my ears are swelling/throbbing. I thought a mask would prevent this... It's making my tongue tingle too.

Offline lakeswimr

Re: Swollen ears
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 06:45:30 AM »
I don't think a mask is going to protect you from inhaling shellfish and other seafood type proteins if that is what you were trying to avoid.  When those foods cook they release proteins into the air. 

What exposure to allergens did you have?

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 07:59:05 AM »
Oh I hate the feeling of a swollen Eustachian tube. Sorry you reacted. :-/
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 08:08:23 AM »
Sometimes airborne exposure will cause ear swelling for me too.  What type of mask do you use?  But allergens can irritate eyes and ears too, even without inhalation.  I sometimes get burning ears and itchy eyes before any respiratory or lip symptoms, although it is usually the other way around.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline notashrimpwimp

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 06:20:24 PM »
I tried one of those germ filter ones and my particulate respirator. I was hoping to avoid dust, nuts, shellfish, and whatever else crops up.

I took my Benadryl before starting too.

To add insult to injury, the nitrile gloves turned my hands red. I just can't win.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 07:46:49 AM »
Were the nitrile gloves powdered? I find the powder irritates me skin if worn for more than a few minutes, though it could also be from heat.  Did the mask have a tight seal? Were you in a place where your allergens are commonplace? Have you tried wearing goggles? My husband can get itchy ears from environmentalist through eye exposure, but goggles make a huge difference for him. Have you trod other antihistamines? One may work better than another.

Just trying to help you stay safe and comfortable.  :grouphug:

Offline notashrimpwimp

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 03:57:15 PM »
Nope, not powdered. Just plain old gloves. The seal wasn't painful but it passed the breathe in while covering filter test. Living where I do with the abundant natural resources it has, most places I go tend to feature one or two prominently. Yesterday I was at a family member's house and while this family member doesn't buy my allergens often, sometimes people introduce my allergens there. I'd encountered squid and a bag of nuts early, both within a ziploc, though you could certainly smell and identify the squid.

I'm thinking I should ask my dad if he has a spare. By the end of this I will be a walking safety commercial. Protect your eyes, ears, mouth, and nose while undertaking even the most menial of endeavors. ;)

The allergist I visited said to not take Claritin and Allegra because of my reactions to both, and I hesitate to take Zyrtec because of the last time I took it. Benadryl usually takes care of the more "minor" and limited reactions so I can continue with my day.

Thank you!

Offline notashrimpwimp

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 04:02:40 PM »
This is made all the more relevant since yesterday as I progressed from swollen ears to flushing to stridor.

Apparently they could hear me across the ER.

They said don't clean where it's dusty anymore. Now to the all too familiar regimen of antihistamines, steroids, and pepcid.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 09:10:58 PM »
 :grouphug: