FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Cheese pizza challenge  (Read 9312 times)

Description:

Offline GingerPye

Cheese pizza challenge
« on: June 26, 2015, 01:58:21 PM »
DS had a cheese pizza challenge and failed yesterday.  First teeny bite, and a few minutes later he was done.

He had a baked milk challenge a few years ago, but refuses to eat baked milk items.  Allergist agreed to do a cheese pizza challenge . . . she felt he had a chance of passing.  Nope.

If he can start eating baked milk items and keep it up, she will consider doing the pizza challenge next summer.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Cheese pizza challenge
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 03:34:15 PM »
Oh GP, I'm so sorry.  What were his symptoms?
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

ninjaroll

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 04:56:24 PM »
Milk is such a doozy.  It's such a moving target.   :crossed: on baked.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 09:02:31 PM »
 :grouphug: for GP and DS.  I cannot imagine how emotional a food challenge must be.  Keep your chin up - at least now you know for sure, which has some sort of reassurance in a way. 

Best of luck with the baked milk.  Hoping he can still tolerate baked milk after avoiding it for so long.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline MaryM

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 09:02:16 AM »
GP, I am so sorry about the failed pizza challenge.  :grouphug:  Both of my kids failed that one a year or so ago. Milk is such a hard allergy.  Its really difficult to not get your hopes up.   Our allergist insists that eating baked milk is very important.  I admit that I do not make the muffin recipe (let me know if you'd like the recipe) they gave me often enough but my kids do eat Nurtigrain Bars, Original Gold Fish, English Muffins, Aunt Jemima French Toast Sticks, etc.  DD is very adverse to eating the muffins - she convinces herself that she will react.  She has not.

DS is going for anther pizza challenge in August after failing a milk challenge in January.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 11:02:56 AM »
I have the cake recipe but I am wondering about the store-bought items you mentioned.  Did your allergist give you that list?
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 11:04:21 AM »
He had throat symptoms.  Burning, scratchy, and he said it felt like his throat was closing up and he could not swallow.  A lot of swallowing, urping, definitely uncomfortable.  They stopped the challenge immediately. 
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

Offline MaryM

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 09:14:34 AM »
The guidance we were given for store bought items was that milk should be not be one of the first ingredients   the French toast sticks were not on the list but I asked about them and was told they were ok to try.  Nothing with sprayed on cheese like flavor burst gold fish or Doritos.  I'll see if I can find the list they gave me.

Offline Linden

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 10:41:49 AM »
Bummer. 

The guidance we had from Children's Hospital Boston was milk should be at least the third ingredient down.  I think Keebler makes vanilla wafers that has a milk ingredient much further down the list than that but I think it was butter and/or cream and not straight up milk.   Some of the Townhouse Crackers have milk and no spray on coating.

One thing I was also wondering was could you make cake/muffins with the usual "milk" of choice and then just add a drop of cows milk? Maybe it would be more palatable that way?  And then with each batch add a bit more cows milk.

DS TNA/EA, avocado, environmentals, asthma

Offline MaryM

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 03:57:33 PM »
Yes, I mistyped 3rd ingredient or lower.  My kids can eat the Keebler Vanilla Wafers.

Offline notashrimpwimp

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 04:41:12 PM »
 :grouphug: I'm sorry to hear that. I find it encouraging that there's a plan in place for the future.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 03:24:43 AM »
I'm sorry GP. :console:
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts