FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: thousands of children with food allergies undiagnosed.  (Read 1722 times)

Description:

Offline eragon

Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

Offline GoingNuts

Re: thousands of children with food allergies undiagnosed.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 05:50:50 AM »
This is interesting.

Younger DS tested negative to milk when he was younger, despite clearly reacting within minutes with bright red flushed cheeks which turned into nasty eczema hours later.  His allergist's motto was that he treats people, not test results, and to consider him allergic to milk - which he outgrew shortly after his 5th birthday.  (He started being able to tolerate baked milk around age 3).

This was around 20 years ago, but if I remember correctly he said that current tests didn't test for all the proteins in milk, and that he could be allergic to one of the minor proteins that weren't included in the test.  I wonder if this could also be the case for other foods.

Thanks for sharing!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 06:16:45 PM »
Ugh ... don't like this wording ... (bold mine).

Dr Grimshaw, who was involved in the European Union funded project known as EuroPrevall, said: 'We know that sometimes if a child is seen for a possible food allergic reaction - to any food, not just milk - but tests show there is no measurable IgE, then a possible food reaction may be ruled out, when in fact the child may be reacting to the food, just not via IgE

You can have a negative IgE blood test and still have an IgE allergy ... wish this had also been mentioned because, let me just say, that it is no fun to have a doc "rule out" an allergy based on a negative test.

:disappointed:

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 06:25:20 PM »
Younger DS tested negative to milk when he was younger, despite clearly reacting within minutes with bright red flushed cheeks which turned into nasty eczema hours later.  His allergist's motto was that he treats people, not test results, and to consider him allergic 

Read this after posting.

Nice motto.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 06:26:51 PM by LinksEtc »