login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: $2,000 for 5 sets of epi-pens!  (Read 5566 times)

Description:

Offline maeve

Re: $2,000 for 5 sets of epi-pens!
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 01:46:54 PM »
I've heard good things about target prices, and if you have the target redcard, you get extra off  or as a rebate or something (5%??)

Goodrx.com or the goodrx phone app can search the best prices in your area. If you have the coupon I don't think you can add the goodrx discounts but it's worth a try.

Target had the best price for AuviQ in my area (and the longest expiry date) when I called last year. My insurance only covers EpiPens, so I would have to pay retail for AuviQ. I still haven't gotten DD an AuviQ. I'd planned to when her current set of EpiPens expire but some health expenses for me that likely won't be covered by insurance take precedence.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 08:56:20 AM »
It's time to get new epis for three of us.  I hope our new insurance covers them at a reasonable cost!
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline joanna5

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 07:07:38 PM »
Our script is written for two two-packs.  Would that change your out of pocket at all?
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 08:00:43 PM »
Maeve, wondering what your out of pocket looked like on Epipen refills this go round, if you don't mind saying?

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline maeve

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 11:05:33 AM »
Maeve, wondering what your out of pocket looked like on Epipen refills this go round, if you don't mind saying?

I want to say $50 but I'll have to check. I noticed the retail went up considerably.  Thankfully, I didn't have to pay that.

USA-Virginia

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 12:55:49 PM »
Sure would like to know what it actually COSTS makers of Epi and AuviQ to manufacture.

The mark up must be colossal?

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline maeve

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2015, 03:20:24 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised to see Mylan tweak the EpiPen design again in order to maintain a patent on it and keep it from going generic. Inhaler makers were able to do that when they had to change the delivery system to eliminate CFCs. Now medications like albuterol inhalers that had been generic and inexpensive are no longer generic and a lot more expensive.

USA-Virginia

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 06:43:29 PM »
Really hoping there is a generic.  Or dang it, a price modification.  We go broke on meds we never want to use.  At least with car/house insurance I can shop around :/
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2015, 06:07:14 AM »
you know about this right?

https://www.activatethecard.com/epipen/

I have a really high deductible, family and individuals.  We paid over $300 last refill for dd, with the discount card here.  :(  She really needs another set.  School has one, she has one(expiring in November), and we have a set at home that expired in July.  These changes in insurance coverage are killing us.  We pretty much don't tap into it until the year has just about passed, and then, it is right back to the new year and the deductibles.   I have been skipping routine care for myself, to save money.  I had about $500 in lab fees just to monitor things that are pretty well under control.  Wasteful to pay for the doctor to check it ever 6 months when it is all stable.   
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline aggiedog

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2015, 06:14:21 AM »
medications like albuterol inhalers that had been generic and inexpensive are no longer generic and a lot more expensive.

Something happened that allowed companies to "brand" their generic drugs, allowing them to uncharge the meds.  Antibiotics that are old as dirt is one example.   :rant:

Offline Mezzo

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2015, 10:06:20 PM »
We are very lucky that our health insurance now covers Auvi-Qs the same as Epipens. They don't keep them on hand in the local pharmacy because there isn't demand, so we have to wait for them to order a box. But they're not expensive. I should count my blessings.

Offline maeve

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2015, 06:24:15 PM »
I checked and the retail price at the pharmacy we use is $586 for an EpiPen twinpack. We didn't have a copay because we used the discount card from Dey/Mylan.

USA-Virginia