login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Probiotics and Allergic Disease  (Read 2703 times)

Description:

Offline ctmartin

Probiotics and Allergic Disease
« on: October 07, 2015, 08:01:50 AM »

I know I asked this question many years ago (may have even been on the other board), but I thought I might throw it out there again.  Does anyone use probiotics for treatment of their (or their child's) allergic condition and have positive feedback to share on their use?  Also, can anyone recommend an excellent quality probiotic that is safe for peanut/sesame allergy?

Thank you!

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
Re: Probiotics and Allergic Disease
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 01:24:08 PM »
We use one hoping that it helps, figuring it can't hurt. We use this one...

http://www.jarrow.com/product/279/Yum-Yum_Dophilus

It's been so long I can't remember if I called on sesame or not.  DS has been taking it for years.

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 05:52:13 PM »
The food allergy desensitization place has us use Lactobacilicus GG on DS because an Australian study found it makes desensitization work better.  They recommend we use Culturelle. 

Offline ctmartin

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 06:58:53 PM »

Interesting, Lakeswimr.  This is something I definitely plan on addressing during our visit to Mt. Sinai in January.  I'd like to know what the latest research is concerning use.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 09:01:34 PM »
GI doc and different allergist had our DS go on Align.  It seemed to be acceptable for PN/TN, but I did not need to check about sesame.  Son did it for quite awhile and then we switched to doing daily yogurts like Activia.

No clue if it really helped with food allergies as there are so many other factors at play and his numbers go up and down . . . but I do think it has helped his gut operation overall. 

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 10:29:06 PM »
For SLIT our allergist has us using Claire Therbiotic. I think that's what it's called.  We have a few probiotic threads, and I've posted the label in a couple of them. It's free of the top 8 and I have no problems with it and sesame.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline ctmartin

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 07:52:33 AM »
Macabre ... that is just the type of probiotic I am looking for ... thanks!  And thanks to everyone who responded.  It's been tough going so far.  For those of you who are not familiar with our current situation, my daughter is allergic to PN/sesame, and aside from her initial reaction at 19 mo, we have had to deal with one episode of ANA (due to sesame exposure) in the 8 years since (and that was 4 years ago).  We haven't had so much as a hive since, and she has never had any medical treatment at school (we are extremely diligent as well).

Fast forward to a month ago, and she was having repeated minor reactions during gym class, and then a pretty significant reaction (although no epi).  We have been playing it safe, biding our time until we can see an allergist at Mt. Sinai in January (our local allergist does not know what to do with us).  She has sat out at PE. and I have watched her activity level carefully.  We went rollerskating about a month ago, with no problem.  However, this past Sunday we went again, and she had a pretty significant reaction, although again no epi.  Swelling and hives around the eyes, and very scary.  Scary because she has said to me that her warning is that she starts sneezing, and there was no sneezing ... just immediate onset of symptoms.  She reported that her mouth and lips tingled ... that is when she came to me crying.  I was/am so rattled.

Anyway, I have been doing a lot of research, and I have always had my own theory about my daughters allergic tendencies having to do with an early course of antibiotics at age 9 months without probiotics.  I really believe this screwed up her gut flora.  I'm just hoping to find *something* to restore some balance.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 12:06:21 PM »
ct --

I second you questions as to antibiotics and poss effect on young child's gut and allergy ramifcations.  Our son had IV antibiotic the week after he was born (we were both hospitalized for a week as both had unexplained fever after prolonged labor and emerg C-sect) . . . son's GI health was of great concern to me then and, later (9 months colic, etc)  . . . then diagnosed with ana to peanut after reax at 11 months . . .

I think there is something to the probiotic and the lack of allergic reactions, as well as in our instance improvement in overall medical health (to include impulse control and more).

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 01:15:30 PM »
If it's really the early antibiotics, then there was no hope for DS.  He went on them immediately once born due to hydronephrosis (extra fluid in the kidneys) that they found during an utrasound.  He had to stay on them until they could do a study to make sure the urine wasn't backing up into the kidneys from the bladder, don't remember the time frame.

Offline krasota

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 09:45:08 PM »
After the study finding that many "gluten-free" probiotics contain gluten . . . nope, no extra probiotics here. I  do eat cultured and fermented foods, unless I'm having issues with high histamine load. 
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 08:32:07 PM »
After the study finding that many "gluten-free" probiotics contain gluten . . . nope, no extra probiotics here. I  do eat cultured and fermented foods, unless I'm having issues with high histamine load.

Interesting - this might explain why DS1 struggled with them so much (loss of bowel control).
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline ctmartin

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 11:41:12 AM »

Interesting, krasota ... yes, I have been reading about histamine intolerance and high histamine load and there are definitely some strains to avoid.  I have been reading of these conditions, as I am wondering, especially with the case of histamine load, if this is why my daughter is having reactions following physical exertion.  Have you ever had such an experience?