login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: UNREAL visit with new allergy dr today  (Read 2436 times)

Description:

Offline wackattack69

UNREAL visit with new allergy dr today
« on: October 20, 2015, 02:04:48 AM »
So, DD and I went to see her new allergy dr today. We relocated from Texas to Kansas. The first one she saw was CRAZY. He put her on 5 new meds at once and she was sick for a solid month. One of the meds was Diflucan....one a day for 27 days! And Prednisone for two weeks, and switched Zyrtec to Claritin and Zpack x 2 packs, and Dymista. She had a reaction to the Diflucan (from being on it for 27 days, I'm sure). TWITCHING. Her legs, hands, etc. ER says it was an acute reaction to the drug. They basically said the allergy dr was crazy for putting her on it for that long. Evidentially, that is used for fungal lung diseases...which she did not have. So, a month later, she still has residual twitching in right leg.
 Today on to a new dr. I should mention we live near Wichita which has a huge shortage of Allergy drs.
There are literally 4-one is the crazy one I mentioned and the other 3 are in the same office. I was thrilled to get an appt. due to a cancellation, today. The guy was nice enough..to begin with. He began to question EVERYTHING we said, right down to a UTI that DD had 3 months ago...really? He questioned and rolled his eyes about when DD had her tonsils and adenoids out. We let all of it go, we just did. So, he asked WHY we thought she had a peanut allergy, etc. DD is 19. We have dealt with this since age 18 months (asthma started at age 2). We gave him the name of her drs and offered to send him the records. He also had the records from the crazy dr across town...who RAST tested her for peanuts and she was off the charts. He insisted on RAST testing her again. I don't iknow why.
 So, he gave us some suggestions on things to change and before he left, I asked him to please fill out DD's  disability forms for college (this is her sophomore year). He literally laughed out loud and said "what disability?" I calmly stated "her asthma and life threatening peanut allergy" He said those were not disabilities-he was incredulous. I handed him the forms that the college in Texas had gotten filled out from DD's TX dr.  He stated "look, she has not had an anaphylactic reaction for 17 years, there is not a thing wrong with her". "She doesn't need anything "special". I began to explain that she had a Peanut Free sign on her classroom doors at college...he interrupted me and said "absolutely not!". He said allergens are never airborne and that if someone wanted to eat a peanut butter sandwich in class next to DD, that person should have that right and that DD would be fine. DD then started to tear up.
 He marched out of the room and DD, of course, was crying by then. She said"doesn't he know about cross contamination, etc?" "What if that person eating a sandwich tried to hand me a paper after they ate a sandwich?".  DD did have a reaction walking past a vat of open peanuts next to a display of bananas at age 2.5. The dr said PROVE IT. Excuse me but WTH????? :rant: We left in shock and I texted my husband who told me to get up and leave (we were already in the car).
 The nearest other Allergy DRs are 2.5 hours away and guess what? I will drive there. I cannot believe this happened in this day and age, I just cannot.
 I really needed to rant and didn't know where else to go.
 Should I send him some damned printouts of the disability laws?? I am just dumbfounded.

Offline GoingNuts

Re: UNREAL visit with new allergy dr today
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 05:55:54 AM »
OMG, what an awful experience for you and your DD.   :console:

Bad bedside manner is bad enough, but completely incorrect information and management is quite another.

Can you complain to whatever hospital he is affiliated with?  Have you considered going on Yelp and tarring and feathering him there?

I know that none of those help with your current situation, and your DD's needs have to be addressed immediately.   :disappointed:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 07:18:42 AM »
 :grouphug:

:rant:

:grouphug:

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 08:57:26 AM »
Wow, that is absolutely horrible! What a bunch of jerks! I would file complaints on both of them. I'm sorry you had to deal with that.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

wackattack

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 01:42:09 PM »
 Thank you all for the love and support.  I love that I can be gone for months and come back here, sigh. This group has literally saved my sanity over the years
  Yes, my PCP encouraged me to file a complaint with the board in regards to the first doctor...who asked me for $ on two separate visits.....I kid you not. He has an invention and needs cash.  :insane:
 The second one, I'm not sure of what to do. I feel the need to educate him, but DH thinks it will just upset me and DD more, and that we should just move on. I do feel the need to educate him, for the next kid that may come in, though. I think we need to take care of each other that way.
 Will keep you updated as I drive 2.5 hours to the next DR.

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 01:56:35 PM »
I just don't even understand the thinking behind 2 zpacks and 27 days of Diflucan? Did he think she had an infection? And switching from Zyrtec to Claritin? If anything go to Allegra.

And the asking for money  :oo that is definitely inappropriate. Would mention that in complaint. I would want to educate the second,but not continue to see him.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 02:33:17 PM »
wow!!!  the allergy community works so hard for support which needs to come from the top down.  To have an allergist (board certified)?  treat you like this and show lack of knowledge is just unacceptable!  So sorry you're dealing with this. 
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline blujen

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 03:31:19 PM »
I'm in wichita too.  I think I posted my story before, you can probably find it - i'm sure that the Dr i'm going to is the crazy one you had, he tried all of the same stuff with me, added all sorts of "Dr OZ" style stuff for me and laughed at a serious reaction.  I haven't found a good allergist so at this point i'm still going to him, and then running all of his scripts past my GP.  My insurance won't fill some of my scripts unless it's a board certified allergist who prescribes them, and  I have a GP who is happy to help.  I went to another allergist here in town for 25 years, but he retired last year.  I wish he hadn't because i'd be all over recommending him if he were still around.
Last Skin Tests 1/2015
Positive to 71/73 tested allergens.
Food allergies positive Apple?, Wheat?, Milk, Mushroom, Celery, Melon, Banana
Asthma, Cold Urticaria