FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: AUVI-Q Recall!  (Read 11526 times)

Description:

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
Re: AUVI-Q Recall!
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2015, 09:31:55 PM »
What a shame, so sorry for everyone who has to get new prescriptions filled.  Disappointing because the auvi q has so much benefit to the allergy community.  Tough though because trust a big deal when you're carrying potentially life saving medication.
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2015, 09:32:22 PM »
I'd better call in our refills, actually-- the surge in replacements may make epipens hard to get for a few weeks. 

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2015, 10:16:26 PM »
Ds is not happy about going back to Epis's  :rant:
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

hk

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2015, 10:53:12 PM »
I'm disappointed and I'm also angry.  They had ONE job to do, which was to manufacture a device that delivered the correct dose of potentially life-saving medication.   :rant:

I requested a refill on our Epis in hopes of beating the rush and DH is at the pharmacy picking them up now.  Incidentally, our pharmacist did not know about the recall yet.

Offline MaryM

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 06:10:31 AM »
I'm disappointed and I'm also angry.  They had ONE job to do, which was to manufacture a device that delivered the correct dose of potentially life-saving medication.   :rant:

I requested a refill on our Epis in hopes of beating the rush and DH is at the pharmacy picking them up now.  Incidentally, our pharmacist did not know about the recall yet.

My doctors office (pediatrician with evening hours) did not know.  The receptionist told me a nurse would call me back last night or this morning.  I told her no, the nurse had to call me tonight bc I can't send my kids to school without the Epi-Pens.  I got a return call in 5 minutes. 

DS is bummed - he just started to self carry and has a running buddy.  It was perfect.  Now I think he will have his Epi in his Case-It Binder at school bc that goes everywhere with him.  Or I have to go and buy him a ton of cargo pants....

Offline ctmartin

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2015, 07:38:22 AM »

Figures since none of the major news sites have run the story yet!   :rant:

Offline BensMom

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2015, 07:43:20 AM »
When I told dh about it, he suggested I test one on myself to see if it works (I once accidentally jabbed myself with and epi, which had him laughing harder than I've ever seen him laugh.)  :tongue:

I wish Sanofi would give more info. It says none of the complaints was confirmed. Did they test the devices? Is there some percentage that aren't giving the right dose? People continued to experience symptoms? Did they give it in time? It just seems really vague and I have to wonder if there's actually a problem. But I'll call to get some epis for ds when the doctor's office opens.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2015, 08:25:58 AM »
DD is disappointed.  Waiting for a nurse to call me back so I can get new scripts.  Sent an email to the school nurse.

I too wish there were more concrete findings.  I am concerned and hope Saniflo can bounce back from this recall and get back to business.  These were wonderful for DD's friends.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2015, 08:48:26 AM »
3 Epi twin packs expiring FEB 2017 are mine this afternoon.  School nurse appreciated the heads up and the new script she will have tomorrow.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2015, 01:29:44 PM »
So it turns out DS only has 1 Epipen. Called the MD to have them call in a rx to his local pharmacy. They said they have been flooded with calls.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline BensMom

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2015, 02:21:03 PM »
Called ds's ped to have them call in a prescription. They didn't know about the recall (called at 9am). At least the person who answered didn't know.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2015, 03:18:14 PM »
Our pharmacy called to let us know about the recall and the replacement procedures.

My mother is in a bit of a tough situation though as she JUST left for six months in America.  So she has a Canadian Allerject and pharmacies in America won't exchange them for her.  Sanofi said she has to exchange them at a Canadian pharmacy. Or she can go to a doctor in America and get a new prescription, have it filled and Sanofi will pay her back for the EpiPens but not the doctor's visit. Her insurance won't cover a random doctor's visit, only emergencies.  Any ideas? Right now I am going to exchange mine for EpiPens and send them down with my Dad when he comes up to visit for a weekend  in December (just him coming to visit, not Mum - weird, but whatever.). Can anyone come up with a better plan? (I have two EpiPens already and refills for six more if I need them.)

Aside, I did wonder if my Allerject worked properly the last time I had to use it.  It helped ease symptoms but not as much as past injections.  In that weak state, under emergency medical attention already, it wasn't worth mentioning.  But I did think about it at the time... But I was well beyond delirious in general so who really knows.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2015, 03:51:26 PM »
Space, could your mom go to a doc-in-a-box place to get the prescription?  They're relatively inexpensive - I think MinuteClinic inside some CVS pharmacies was around $65 for a visit last time we went and CareNow urgent care usually runs about $100.  She could call around and ask prices before going in.  I'm sure prices are comparable at other brands of those places, too.

ETA:  Just googled and MinuteClinic says $59-$99 for EpiPen and Auvi-Q (guess they'll have to update their site) refills.
http://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/services/price-lists
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline my3guys

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2015, 05:13:10 PM »
Pharmacies in my town are out of epipens:( we have one twin pack epipen in house which expires next month. This makes me uncomfortable!

Offline Ciel

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2015, 06:12:51 PM »
Aside, I did wonder if my Allerject worked properly the last time I had to use it.  It helped ease symptoms but not as much as past injections.  In that weak state, under emergency medical attention already, it wasn't worth mentioning.  But I did think about it at the time... But I was well beyond delirious in general so who really knows.

When I used my Allerject last time I also remember noting that it wasn't the same 'instant relief' I had from a previous experience with a Twinject. EMS was already with me and I didn't end up needing a second injection anyway, just steroids etc. I later learned that the Allerjects I was carrying were all expired, including the one I used (my fault) so I sort of wondered if that might have explained the difference, or just that reactions are different every time. I am really glad now that I replaced the expired Allerjects with EpiPens.