login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: AUVI-Q Recall!  (Read 11560 times)

Description:

Offline BensMom

Re: AUVI-Q Recall!
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2015, 07:56:34 PM »
space, can her doc call in a prescription to a Canadian pharmacy near you, and then you could pick them up and mail them to her? Is Sanofi saying you have to exchange them in Canada? We don't have to do that--just get new epis and mail Sanofi the auviqs or something like that.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2015, 10:19:20 AM »
My thoughts:

#1 --
Everybody who possibly can should self-limit as to how many replacement epinephrine injectors you get to replace as there may be a supply crunch and we don't want ANYONE to have to go without.  (Just get what is truly NEEDED right now & for next 30 days or so -- until supply meets demand on devices.)

Just my .02-worth as a 16-year veteran parent of life-threatening food allergy kiddos.

It's the right thing to do.

Please spread the word.

#2 -- Continue to support AuviQ as they work through this (obviously, unless there would come to light malfeasance, which I do NOT expect.)  Sanofi/Auvi-Q have been a godsend for MANY of us.

Thanks for listening.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2015, 10:27:35 AM »
Dow Jones article says too little or none at all delivered?

A Sanofi spokeswoman later said the devices potentially injected too little epinephrine or none at all.

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/sanofi-recalls-auviq-allergy-injectors--2nd-update-20151029-01915

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2015, 10:29:40 AM »
Please share your experiences as to providers/services who learned of the recall and notified YOU personally.

In the space of a few hours, we had phone call (human) from our allergist and our pharmacy.  We had a recorded message from our school district.

I was impressed.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2015, 10:36:41 AM »
Allerject sent me an 'important safety notice' by email this morning.

I echo the statement to limit exchanges for now. When our pharmacy called they said they will exchange one per customer right now until new supplies arrive.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2015, 10:45:08 AM »
We have a plan to get WpiPens to my mum now. Alas, post if out of the question due to weather extremes (freezing here and too hot where she is). My Dad will bring one of her Allerjects up with him, exchange it, and the phaacy will give him another one too. So she will be with only one Allerject for three days but is close to medical attention. She is lucky Dad is coming for a visit.

Also, $99 for a doctor's visit just to get a prescription sounds like a lot! I forwarded that option to her as well, if she wants EpiPens sooner.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2015, 01:00:30 PM »

Offline MamaZu

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2015, 04:06:18 PM »
I just saw a few Facebook posts where people "tested" their Auvi_Q , injected them into a piece of cloth covering a jar.  And NO drug was released.  None.  that is just scary.
Makes me wonder how many people have needed multiple injections or worse due to receiving zero drug.   

So scary when all summer long my son carried ONLY Auvi_Q with him.   The what ifs can make you crazy.

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2015, 10:49:58 PM »
I agree I want it back, if it works. I'm the link ajas posted though I disagree with the setback statement. If what MamZu posted is true, that scares the $hi! out of me and is more than a setback. If nothing is coming out, how did it make it through testing and approval. I think I'm going to test an expired one.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2015, 08:26:05 AM »
Back in the late 90's there was a massive Epipen recall as well, with all of our pens being in the recalled group.  We turned ours in and were supposed to get new ones immediately, which turned into "tomorrow", which ended up being weeks - because there was a shortage.  I clung to my recently expired, not recalled pen like it was gold.  No eating out, DS ate nothing that wasn't prepared by me (which was doable because he was only 3 or 4 at the time).

I think Mylan (why do unthinking was Dey back then?) probably had deeper pockets than Sanofi and was able to bounce back more easily.  I hope they can fix this problem and start producing again. They are so much easier for boys and men to carry.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2015, 09:00:00 AM »
It was Dey then.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2015, 10:14:43 AM »
Thanks for the link.  I voted!  For my DD's sake, I hope they can bounce back and we will be first in line to buy new ones!  Auvi-Q is less scary for her friends to learn and help her with.  They are so much easier to carry!

Offline BensMom

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2015, 10:28:11 AM »
I got a call from the pharmacist notifying me.

DS used his auvis in January and I think they were fine. When I talk to him, I'll ask if he got immediate relief. I think he ended up using both since it took more than 20 minutes to get to the hospital.

Since I don't have to send my recalled ones back (I didn't pay anything, so I don't  need a refund), I could try testing them. Maybe I'll do that.

Offline BensMom

« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2015, 11:54:59 AM »
I just saw a few Facebook posts where people "tested" their Auvi_Q , injected them into a piece of cloth covering a jar.  And NO drug was released.  None.  that is just scary.

DH asked if anyone posted a video of this on youtube. So I went to look and I did find this video of what it should look like when the medicine squirts out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3PntHvNiTY

I may try this with ours.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2015, 01:00:02 PM »
New scripts for Epis just showed up at CVS for DS and me. Magically from Dr. Mary. After CVS called me, I got en e-communication from our doctor telling us about the recall and saying there would be an epi script.

:heart:
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts