login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Passed tree nut challenge - have some questions for PA  (Read 2858 times)

Description:

allerav

Passed tree nut challenge - have some questions for PA
« on: November 11, 2015, 11:39:10 AM »
My son who is severely allergic to peanuts passed a food challenge for almonds and walnuts/pecans.  I have a couple of questions for those of you who can eat TN but not peanuts. 

(1) Do you eat products that are same facility for TN, such as Hershey bars that say same production line as almonds?
(2) Do you eat almond-based ice creams?

I guess at heart my question is whether you worry about TN used as an ingredient being cross-contaminated with peanuts where the company indicates the product is peanut-free.

Appreciate any advice in this new world of eating some TN.

Offline spacecanada

Re: Passed tree nut challenge - have some questions for PA
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 02:45:43 PM »
If the company says peanut-free and contains tree nuts, I would guess their tree nuts weren't cross contaminated.  Blue Diamond is one I know of that says peanut-free and has a good reputation as such.  I heard there is a pistachio company out there too that is peanut-free.

My mum (peanut allergy) eats nuts and various cereals that contain nuts and are labelled peanut-free.

Chapman ice creams are peanut and nut free. I would be very careful with other brands, as I have seen many label for free from certain allergens only to see they are still made on shared lines with those allergens. Coconut dream is misleading that way - I don't trust their labels though many others here do.  I guess it comes down to personal comfort zones. When in doubt, call the manufacturer and ask for all the allergen details. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: Passed tree nut challenge - have some questions for PA
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 02:53:49 PM »
1.  WRT eating things that are may contain tree nuts, I would probably eat those because a may contain of a may contain is pretty far removed.

2.  As for the almond based ice cream, I would call and check if it's in a shared facility with peanut or if the almonds used are a may contain.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.