FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Numbness as a part of reaction?  (Read 3126 times)

Description:

Offline SilverLining

Numbness as a part of reaction?
« on: December 15, 2015, 09:20:19 PM »
I strongly suspect a really bad reaction from breathing in unlabelled, or "may contain" sesame. I touched it with my hand, but then washed. Put it in the oven and baked for over 2 hours.

About an hour in, I started feeling sick. I continued feeling sicker. No hives (but no hives when I've had anaphylaxis, so that really means nothing).

When I took the meat out of the oven to pull it apart, (without touching it) my throat felt tight and my stomach was flipping. Everyone else said the meat smelled delicious, and normally I like this stuff (never had this brand, usually make my own, but similar). Finally ran to the bathroom.

TMI
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I noticed both my hands tingling and going numb. When I was trying to cup water to rinse my mouth....I couldn't. The fingers had curled in and I couldn't control them. This did not last long. It went away in the opposite order it came....so first I could move the fingers, then the numbness faded then the tingling left.  It had started at the fingers and moved up to the elbows. It left the opposite way. 

My throat still feels weird.

I have some weird "It must be Christmas" song running through my head. I don't even know if that's a real song. But the lyrics are my own.

~~~~

I owe someone an e-mail, but while on a benedryl high, and the inevitable crash that will follow is not the time. It will respond though.  :smooch:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Numbness as a part of reaction?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 10:14:39 PM »
Oh silver wow. :console:

That sounds awful. Really awful. I hope you are okay now.

Before anaphylaxis, my worst sesame reaction involved numbness to my lips. I was at a conference in Baltimore, and my biggest fear was shellfish. But I was having drinks with a vendor I had used for several years. I was eating pretzels while having drinks. I started dribbling my Cosmo down my chin and had difficulty speaking. I looked drunk. But it was a reaction. The pretzels were made of sesame flour!

I don't always think of that numbness symptom, but it was awful.

I really hope you have an easy recovery physically and emotionally. (((Hugs)))
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 01:58:46 AM »
Oh NO-- not that the Christmas song is the worst bit of that, of course-- but just... kind of in a cosmic "OF COURSE" kind of way, you know??

:-[

I think that DD may have mentioned loss of motor control once-- I've never experienced it, but she has. 

VERY glad you are okay.   :grouphug:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 05:44:38 AM »
Yes - I reacted to Aloe Juice with feeling very spacey, and numbness to my arms/hands and lips.  No hives.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 09:28:57 AM »
Thank you ladies. :) Not that I ever wish this on anyone, but sometimes it's nice to know you aren't alone. Kwim?

It's been a bit like a wave overnight with symptoms coming and going. I managed a solid sleep from 7:30 am to about 10:00. Now, trying to force some crackers on myself.  I have a killer headache.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 09:39:09 AM »
Oh goodness, SL, I'm so glad you're okay!  I've also heard of numbness as a symptom, but have never experienced it.  I wonder if it's related to oxygenation/blood going to vital organs/drop in blood pressure?
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 07:29:11 PM »
That makes sense, which is scary. Drop in bp should not be ignored.

I did some googling, and several pages list tingling or numbness in arms or legs as a symptom.

http://www.diet.com/g/food-allergies