FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Questions about a potential new raw shrimp contact allergy  (Read 3310 times)

Description:

Callie

Questions about a potential new raw shrimp contact allergy
« on: January 17, 2016, 08:59:00 PM »
I've never been a lover of shrimp until quite recently. Since New Years I've had cooked shrimp on four occasions with no reaction, but this past Thursday I deshelled a pound of uncooked shrimp for the first time in years (last time would have been 2011). During the night I woke up a few times and remember my index finger on both hands were a little itchy and seemed to be burning, but I didn't think anything of it and went back to bed. When I woke up in the morning the tips of all my fingers were tingling and burning and my fingers and palms were very itchy. The tips also felt a little swollen. I took benadryl and put hydrocortosone on my hands, which offered some relief. My only concern is that it's been almost three full days and the pins and needle type sensation hasn't stopped. It comes and goes in waves and makes putting my shoes and clothes on very difficult (almost like walking on your foot when it's asleep but a little sharper). Has anyone ever experienced this? Should I be concerned about the length of my reaction (it's almost making me doubt it was the shrimp)? Any suggestions on what to do?

Offline PurpleCat

Re: Questions about a potential new raw shrimp contact allergy
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 08:35:57 AM »
I hope your doctor's office is open today and you can call.  My DD's contact reactions varied, most resolved with Benedryl, once she needed steroids.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 09:10:40 AM »
I have had reactions that lasted several days.

So you've not experienced any reactions after eating it? I am allergic to shrimp but don't know enough about its makeup to know what this could be. I do know that cooking does not destroy the protein I am allergic to.

We do have a thread on a related topic that might be helpful. I will post a link here.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 09:15:45 AM »
This will give you some info about  the protein that is the problem for shrimp.

Nice Summary of Shrimp Protein
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts