What is up with tomato sauce being nut contaminated?

Started by brownie, July 11, 2012, 04:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownie

I am wondering why all these tomato products are an issue.  It is not something I would anticipate being an issue.  For instance, warning on Ragu, Pizza Hut pizza sauce, Whole Foods pasta sauce, and when I called Baby Ray's BBQ they told me not to use it.  What happens in a tomato facility that puts products at risk?  Just seems odd and hard to explain to others.

Brownie
2 ds's with PA, TNA and avoiding all seafood

MandCmama

Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

maeve

"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

CMdeux

Could be consolidation and larger processing centers, too.

PLAIN tomato products by brands like Del Monte and Contadina tend to be uncontaminated.

But...

sauces which are made in multipurpose, leviathan, contract manufacturing facilities may well ALSO make/process/package satay sauce or god-knows-what on the same lines.  Or maybe they just want to reserve the possibility.  Most individual package condiments are in this category, fwiw.  The few manufacturers either do:  a) only ketchup, or b) anything that comes in a foil, plastic-lined, single-serving pouch.  On the same lines, I mean.

<sigh>

This really isn't necessarly CYA labelling.  But it also is likely to be okay for those who don't have super-low thresholds.  IMMV, of course.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

brownie

hmmm..never thought about that.  So honey for chicken nuggets is probably a potential for cross contamination.  Other than ketchup, that is probably the only "single-serve" we typically use, but good to know.  I bet Heinz makes their own ketchup...can't imagine them allowing anyone else to to it but who knows.

Brownie
2 ds's with PA, TNA and avoiding all seafood

CMdeux

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview