Good People

Started by GoingNuts, January 10, 2016, 06:30:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoingNuts

Earlier this week DS traveled via Amtrak to visit some potential law schools in Boston.  His train was full, and at one point the man sitting next to him went to the snack car and came back with a bag of peanuts, hummus and and sandwich.

DS hates calling attention to his allergy, and would have switched seats if the train wasn't full.  So he proceeded to ask the man not to open the bag of peanuts, etc.  The man asked what he was allergic to, and DS told him.  He also told him that the hummus wasn't likely to be a problem, just the peanuts.  The man put everything away, told DS that his nephew had FA's and he fully understood the severity.  They spent the rest of the trip discussing the Red Sox and the Mets.  :)

Acts like that restore my faith in humanity.  :thumbsup:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

my3guys

That IS nice GN! I'm glad your DS spoke up and that he got such a positive response! :heart:

PurpleCat

Great story to start my day!  Happy your son had such a positive experience!

spacecanada

ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

CMdeux

Here's to some GREAT karma for that wonderful human being.   :heart:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

GoingNuts

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

candyguru

-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

momma2boys

I missed this somehow! That's awesome! We have had similar experiences, one at a concert and one at an NFL game where someone willingly did not eat their peanuts and were just awesome. It really restores your faith in people.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

CMdeux

Here's another one-- and this COULD go into the life with allergies one, but honestly, it's about the person being so incredible and thoughtful, actually.

DD's new SO had her over for dinner the other night, and realized that "chicken nuggets" might not all be created equal, and besides, DD is semi-vegetarian anyway-- so flipped dinner plans to something safer-- pasta and sauce.

SO lives with roommates, and being college students, rinsing the pot is a thing with pasta, and it doesn't necessarily get scrubbed with soap and water every use.  They're college guys.

Well, he realizes this about the time his roommate is dumping pasta into the pot-- and without even being told, goes to the recycling bin and FISHES OUT THE OTHER PASTA packaging so that DD can read the label for herself.

For someone with ingestion-only food allergies to have "gotten" what DD's level of sensitivity means, and to understand that yes, even something as seemingly innocent as pasta can be a risk-- it's just lovely and says a lot about him as a person. 

That he did it without calling it all out and making her embarrassed over it with his roommmate is even better.   :heart:

Just retelling me this story made DD well up.   
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview