FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: C-section vs Vag?  (Read 3552 times)

Description:

Offline SilverLining

C-section vs Vag?
« on: February 03, 2016, 01:58:43 PM »
http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-c-section-baby-vaginal-fluid-20160201-story.html

Previous research has shown a correlation (though not causation) between people who were born via C-section and an increased risk of obesity, asthma, allergies and autism.

I hadn't heard that before.  Interesting study, but based on a small sample size.

Offline Scout

Re: C-section vs Vag?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 04:03:54 PM »
Both my kids C-sections

one with pa allergy

one without

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 06:11:45 AM »
My FA kid was born vaginally, elder son (who had FA's in early childhood but outgrew them all by age 2) was C/S.

But it's still interesting.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 07:32:53 AM »
No C-Section and no drugs here.....

I said that cause a helpful person actually told me very passionately that the drugs I took during labor and delivery caused my DD's allergies.  She caught me on a day I had patience... I let her go on and on and on and then said, gee, that's weird, I had natural childbirth with a midwife!   :dunce:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 10:32:37 AM »
Hella atopic kiddo was born vaginally, breast fed, we had pets, etc. etc. etc.

I'm kind of thinking it was bad genetics in her case.

I was also not a C/S baby-- and I was very DEFINITELY milk-allergic and also a grumpy crusty little eczema wee one.  DH was a C/S, and he escaped all of that until he was about five.  Go figure.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 10:33:11 AM »
2 c-sections here, 1 with, 1 without allergies

I'm more in the belief camp of early antibiotics did DS in.  He had extra fluid in his kidneys in utero and had to go on antibiotics immediately until they could figure out if the bladder was backing up into the kidney (it wasn't).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 10:35:20 AM by hezzier »

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 01:13:41 PM »
One of the reasons I decided to post this was because, over the years we (as a community) have sometimes seems a correlation between allergies/asthma and other things.

e.g. There seemed to be a higher number of families dealing with autism than in the general public is one thing I remember.  Another was twins. But that may have been shown to have causation. (Multiple births are often the wonderful result of fertility treatments, and those treatments used to include a shot that had peanut oil in it. I don't know if it does any more, but I remember a discussion on our first board.)

However, I don't recall ever discussing CS vs vag. And I did find it interesting.

~~~

Btw, posting this was in NO WAY to lay blame anywhere. It have always completely opposed the "blame mom" nonsense. If they ever do discover a definite cause, it will hopefully prevent future generations from having allergies....but it still won't mean anyone is guilty.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 02:03:44 PM »
IIRC, one other correlation we noticed was MFA and growth disorders/FTT.

WRT cs/vag... My sister and I are adopted, so no genetic link.  She was c-section (emergency due to cord prolapse) and has  environmental (esp. animal) allergies, bad eczema and bad asthma.  I don't think I was c-section, but I'm not positive - severe food and environmental allergies, mild asthma and mild eczema for me. 

Both her kids were c-sections and one has asthma and the other has no atopy. 

Both my kids were vag.  DS is much more atopic than DD, but they both have food and environmental allergies.  DS also has eczema and asthma.  DD was asthma-free until she had swine flu several years ago (during the bad outbreak) and ended up with pneumonia.  Now she has trouble when sick and with exercise combined with heat and humidity.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 06:42:32 PM »
Boo posed this question once.

DS was a C.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts