login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Macadamia cross-reactivity ?  (Read 2266 times)

Description:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Macadamia cross-reactivity ?
« on: February 19, 2016, 01:44:08 PM »
Anybody know which other tree nuts (or foods, generally) macadamia tends to cross-react with?

For example, cashew and pistachio are highly cross reactive.

Walnut and pecan only somewhat so, in my understanding. 

I'm just curious as DD is VERY allergic to cashew and pistachio, and also seems VERY highly allergic to walnut, but she's never had a reaction to any other tree nuts to the best of our knowledge, and in fact we're looking at having her do an almond challenge.

She's thinking about which other nuts are sourced very focally, though-- that is, they'd be likely to come in forms uncontaminated enough (by her other allergens) that dating partners, friends, and family could eat them with impunity.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline maeve

Re: Macadamia cross-reactivity ?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 01:59:44 PM »
For example, cashew and pistachio are highly cross reactive.

Walnut and pecan only somewhat so, in my understanding.

IIRC correctly from DD's recent tree nut challenge, these are considered highly cross-reactive. The challenge was at Hopkins. Though, we were told that they considered the walnut RAST more predictive in determining whether to challenge. DD's walnut number was still too to challenge. Unfortunately, she choose to test cashew and had a reaction. She passed her almond and hazelnut challenge, and her RAST for pine nut was well below the PPV.

I cannot remember what the reply was when I asked about macadamia. However, I am left with the impression that we could try macadamia. I'll have to email to double check.

Good luck finding out the answer.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 02:02:03 PM by maeve »
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 02:07:02 PM »
Interestingly, I found that phadia lists a possible 2S albumin in common with pistachio/cashew and walnut allergens.  Interesting that there might be a point of cross-reactivity there.

Western U.S.

Offline maeve

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 08:31:10 PM »
Interestingly, I found that phadia lists a possible 2S albumin in common with pistachio/cashew and walnut allergens.  Interesting that there might be a point of cross-reactivity there.

That is interesting.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 09:37:20 PM »
I really appreciate you sharing your experience at Hopkins, Maeve-- I think that your DD and mine now have virtually identical patterns of allergen reactivity, so it's very helpful.

Western U.S.