login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Can pollen allergy syndrome develop?  (Read 5538 times)

Description:

Offline Fracturedcreation

Can pollen allergy syndrome develop?
« on: January 01, 2016, 02:07:40 PM »
Hi

I'm new to this website and I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but can pollen allergy syndrome along with a nut allergy continue to develop in adults?

Offline spacecanada

Re: Can pollen allergy syndrome develop?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 03:08:26 PM »
Yes, pollens can cause cross-reactivity to certain foods.  Different pollens can give you allergic responses to different foods, and nuts can be one of them.  The condition is called Oral Allergy Syndrome (OAS).  Whilst mostly irritating, and mostly affecting raw fruits and vegetables, it can rarely lead to anaphylaxis.  Pollen allergies, food allergies, and/or OAS can develop at any age. Here is a little more about OAS:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/information-for-consumers/fact-sheets/food-allergies/oral-allergy-syndrome/eng/1332351950134/1332352076501

ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 06:06:22 AM »
Hi

Thanks for the reply. I'm quite concerned that while I have asthma, rhinitis and ezcema would this new diagnosis of pollen food syndrome allow for my other allergies to get worse.

I have a nut and peanut allergy I'm dredding the thought of having to further eliminate my diet. I'm hoping not.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 07:16:05 AM »
First of all - Welcome!

Sorry to hear of this latest development.  I developed OAS in adulthood; my kids developed it much earlier.  :disappointed:  On a positive note, my environmental allergies have lessened somewhat in middle age, and as long as I take daily Claritin (which I take for chronic hives) I can eat a greater variety of fruits and vegetables. (Maybe something for you to look forward to?  ;) )   Seasons do make a difference - if my seasonal allergies are flaring, I react more to fresh fruits and vegetables.  No problem if they are cooked.

If you know which pollens you are allergic to, it will help you figure out which foods you may be cross-reactive to. 

Good luck!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 01:37:14 PM »
Hi Goingnuts (Great usernames - thats actually how I feel at the moment)

Well a quick update is that while i've always been allergic with hayfever through out my life its sort of something that switched on in my body at 33 (its been a year now!) and while it started with the nut allergy in 2014. Since then its been a flare up of some allergy issue after another since then. I am seeing an allergist and now a dermatologist too and so i know its all related to silver Birch Pollen (inc: grass and tree pollen) but the dermatologist has said that I have rosacea and seb dermatitis. Is there any chance these are connected to Pollen Food Syndrome?

Sorry if this is a silly question. I was just getting my head around the Nut Allergy and modifying my diet and then it was the skin flaring up..