Allergic reactions to almost everything suddenly? Keep adding stuff.

Started by Fedgegondola, February 13, 2016, 07:52:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fedgegondola

Up until a couple years ago I ate whatever I wanted. Then one day milk got me and its been a downward spiral since then. I've have reactions to corn, every fruit and veggy, rice, beef, wheat, oatmeal, soy, etc. I'm literally only eating chicken, pork, and sweet tea without corn syrup. Up until yesterday I was eating beef too until last night.

To add onto that fragrance, ecigs, animals, dust, are getting me too. I'm just so confused. Its like everything I eat eventually turns on me. If I can't eat chicken or pork one day that'll be the only food I had left. Losing lots of weight. Quit work. Can't exercise.

I guess I'll list my symptoms. Within seconds to a few minutes my tongue, mouth, throat, and esophagus start burning and itching. I feel lumps in my throat. Breathing gets tight. I get dizzy. If I cough it sounds barky. Sipping water makes it worse. Nausea but no vomiting. Never any swelling or hives. Sometimes my hands will itch very intensely but no hives.

I'm eating benadryl like candy. I got skin tested and while some came back positive. Certainly not everything came back positive. Everything I'm exposed to regularly eventually turns on me and there's not much left I can avoid :(

lakeswimr

You need a really good allergist asap and epi pens if you do not yet have them.  A good allergist will have you do some in office food challenges to confirm that you really are reacting to all the things you think you are.  You don't have to have hives for it to be a food reaction. 

It would be very unusual to suddenly develop as many food allergies as it seems you have developed so I do have to wonder if there is a psychosomatic element to any of the food reactions (no offense), but the symptoms you describe are epi pen and 911 call worthy.  They are systemic, anaphylactic symptoms.  Benaryl is for comfort only and can't stop anaphylaxis from progressing. 

Here is a sample food allergy emergency plan.
http://www.foodallergy.org/file/emergency-care-plan.pdf

You need an allergist who takes what you are saying seriously and treats it seriously and helps you figure out what you really must avoid and tells you what to do if you react.

It could be a few things. It could be that you did indeed just suddenly become allergic to most food.  Food allergies can develop at any age but it is unheard of for someone to suddenly become allergic to tons of things all at once, even becoming allergic to more than one suddenly is very, very rare.  It could be you have mast cell disorder.  I don't know almost anything about mast cell disorder but I think people who have it get anaphylaxis much more frequently than people who don't have it and that it is much trickier than regular food allergies.  You will have to google around about mast cell disorder to get info on it.  not all allergists know it well.  It could be some of this or a lot of it is psychosomatic.  It could be that you are reacting to one food and that your reactions are protracted because they are not being treated by the epi.  When you take the benadryl you may be masking the progression of the reaction or the reaction may just appear to self resolve but then return because you are not treating it with the epi.  So, it may seem that x, y, and z are the cause by the reaction may be protracted to something you ate earlier.  So, you may be avoiding foods you don't need to be avoiding.

However, if you feel pretty immediate symptoms after eating, that lends to a reaction to what you just ate.

Also, it could be your food is cross contaminated in your kitchen or the factory a the cause might be something other than the thing you ate but rather something that cross contaminated it.

Good luck!

TeddyCan

Dear friend I don't think this is simple allergic reaction. There may be some other reason. I don't want to scare you but want you to be fit and healthy. Consult an immunologist immediately and get whatever tests he wants you to do. In the meantime add probiotic in your diet.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview