How long to play a sport after Anaphylaxis?

Started by SportsAfterReaction, March 04, 2016, 01:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SportsAfterReaction

My son had a very serious anaphylactic reaction yesterday (Thursday).  To end the reaction it took 2 epi Jn, a needle of epinephrine, 7 puffs of salbutamol sulfate and a few other steroids in the IV.

My son has a hockey game on sat am and wants to play.  I'm a nervous wreak. Does anyone know how long you should wait until you can play sport?  We forgot to ask the doctor before being released from the hospital last night, but I do have a call into the allergist and family doctor but haven't heard back yet. No other reactions since we were released.

Any experience with this?

spacecanada

I have always been told 3-5 days rest, and nothing strenuous for up to a week.  Anaphylaxis takes a big toll on your body and it takes time to physically and emotionally recover. For a child, that recommendation may be different, but I would keep him home and resting for 48 hours at the very least and see how he is doing then.

Hopefully someone here has a more official guideline.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

rebekahc

So sorry to hear your son had a reaction!

We've never been given specific guidelines, either.  I would think that exercise would likely cause an exacerbation in symptoms, so if your son is still having any residual symptoms, I would definitely avoid anything strenuous until those die down.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Mfamom

Hi, so sorry to hear about your child's reaction!  It is scary!  What did your doctor recommend in terms of exercise? 
Welcome, glad you found us!
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview