imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: PA and diabetes  (Read 1589 times)

Description:

Offline LaurensMom

PA and diabetes
« on: March 06, 2016, 08:00:55 PM »
I need to find peanut-free/gluten-free "snacks" that would be good for a pre-diabetic. DD #2 has prone to very large sugar swings and has been termed just shy of pre-diabetic. The recommendation was that she eat 5 to 6 times a day with each meal/snack being balanced in good carbs and protein (with some possible adjustments as she is highly athletic which affects sugar levels). Anyway, the expectations is that this food-management will bring down the A1C number. DD #2 is a senior in HS and is very willing to manage this as she doesn't like not feeling well. She doesn't have time to eat between classes. All her classes are allergen-safe-zones. She could be excused and while teachers can't exactly say anything, I'm trying to find the least disruptive option possible. Anyone else in this situation or similar? Anyone have ideas for well-balanced diabetic snacks that are allergen safe?

Offline spacecanada

Re: PA and diabetes
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 08:22:17 PM »
Enjoy Life trail mix? Homemade granola bars with oatmeal, seeds and seed butter? Rice and beans? Dried chickpeas? Veggies and hummus or seed butter dip?
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline nameless

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 09:04:09 PM »
You can find lots of snack ideas on Diabetic Living http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/

Mostly whole foods and things you'll have to make at home, non-processed foods. That's the easiest way to make things pn/tn free, with more fiber/whole grain, and no/low sugar (or sugar substitutes.) Making a few modifications of favorites can help them be lower glycemic index.

Lots of ideas here too, where PB can be subbed with soy or sunflower seed butter. Making your own hummus is also a great option. Can do things like adding ground flax or wheat germ or ground up oats to make them lower glycemic index.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/food-tips/snacks.html
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline LaurensMom

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 09:17:01 PM »
Thank you to both!

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 05:49:21 AM »
I have posted here about a dried chick pea snack that I gay at Target. It's oddly in the bean aisle: The Good Bean. Their bars are made on shared equipment with nuts I think, but their loose roasted chick peas are made on dedicated equipment. They come in different flavors and are filling.

Pepperidge Farms Brightside granola bars (heart-shaped)--I don't know if they would be good. Check that out. But my DS eats them. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 07:11:44 AM »
If she can have almond butter, Barney Butter is delicious and shelf stable. Unfortunately it costs a fortune though.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline LaurensMom

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 04:47:07 PM »
Thanks for the ideas. I just found another one. Pumpkin seeds. 8 grams of protein in a serving.