FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Readers Needed for Draft of New Peanut Allergy Book  (Read 1807 times)

Description:

Offline agvi

Readers Needed for Draft of New Peanut Allergy Book
« on: April 08, 2016, 12:04:30 AM »
Hello,

I am a scientist with peanut allergy, who has written a book for the general public on the origins and possible cures of peanut allergy.

This will be published as a free e-book of about 100 pages.

I am in need of 5-10 people who will read it and give their honest feedback on how to correct it to best serve the public. The commitment expected is simply the time needed to read the book and write out your main comments, so perhaps 5 hours.

If you are interested in helping with peanut allergy education and empowerment in this way, I would be pleased to hear from you and count you on our team.

Thank you very much, and best wishes.

Adam Gottlieb
Victoria, Canada

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
Re: Readers Needed for Draft of New Peanut Allergy Book
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 09:03:29 AM »
Hi Adam, and welcome.

Do you have other published work and links to these?

Other info and links to bio online?

Thanks!

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 10:12:20 AM »
Are you the same Adam Gottlieb who is a massage therapist in Victoria, BC?  What are your scientific credentials?
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline lakeswimr

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 07:20:08 AM »
I am assuming this is a link to your book.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/adam-gottlieb/the-sprouted-peanut-vaccine-and-other-stories/paperback/product-4204987.html

Unless you are talking about the Chinese herbal formula that was developed by Dr. Xiu Min-Li, then there are no alternative treatments for food allergies that work.

There *are* treatments and things in trials that work or appear to work, though, that are mainstream medicine.  OIT, SLIT, peanut patch, and more. 

Reading what is in your link leaves me feeling concerned that you are going to be advocating things that won't work and so could be extremely dangerous as peanut allergies (and other food allergies) can be fatal. 

About 88% of people do outgrow peanut allergy.  If a person has a treatment like OIT and then is able to eat peanuts like my child, that isn't outgrowing but a treatment that was successful. 

There is a common idea in alternative medicine circles that a holistic lifestyle will cure most ills--that we wouldn't have food allergies if we just didn't eat junk food.  There are many who eat a whole foods, natural diet and still have food allergies, who are healthy otherwise, who exercise, etc etc and still have food allergies. 

So, I'm just guessing about your book and I could be way off.  But what you wrote in the blurb does not sound like it is giving the latest and greatest of treatment options because those would be OIT in my opinion and OIT is not alternative.

There may be dozens of causes beyond protein but I'm not sure what that means. People react to the protein in foods in an IgE reaction.  I don't think that means the protein 'causes' the allergy in the first place, though.  Could there be dozens of caused that various people could have for *IgE food allergies?  Maybe.  It doesn't seem that likely to me.  Dozens of causes for various types of food reactions (IgE allergies, EoE allergies, celiac, etc), then sure.  Those are all different conditions.

Does your book talk about OIT?  Does it talk about the new peanut patch?  the Chinese herbal formula and etc? 

Toxicology--could your field have to do with the rise in food allergies?  Maybe.  Allergists themselves and food allergy researchers themselves do not yet know the cause of food allergies.

What sources did you use for information for your book?

I do not think you are going to find a lot of people in the mainstream food allergy community that interested in the book just based on the blurbs in the link but maybe I"m getting a very wrong impression.  If food could prevent this my child wouldn't have had food allergies in the first place.

I hope this doesn't come off as rude.  I'm giving you my honest feedback.

People can die from food allergies so I don't take suggestions that treatments that can't possibly work work lightly.  it sounds like your book might be a lot of such suggestions.  I hope I'm wrong.

Best wishes.

Offline agvi

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 01:41:37 PM »
Are you the same Adam Gottlieb who is a massage therapist in Victoria, BC?  What are your scientific credentials?

Yes. Previously degrees in Chemistry and Toxicology.

Offline agvi

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 01:47:47 PM »
Hello lakeswimr,

Thanks for your reply and I certainly appreciate your concerns.

Yes, that earlier version lacked some subtlety and cautiousness, which is why we are redoing it now as a shorter text.

It sounds like you would bring a wealth of knowledge, would you have time to give some input?

Also are you OK with me putting out a call for reviewers here?

Best,

Adam

I am assuming this is a link to your book.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/adam-gottlieb/the-sprouted-peanut-vaccine-and-other-stories/paperback/product-4204987.html

Unless you are talking about the Chinese herbal formula that was developed by Dr. Xiu Min-Li, then there are no alternative treatments for food allergies that work.

There *are* treatments and things in trials that work or appear to work, though, that are mainstream medicine.  OIT, SLIT, peanut patch, and more. 

Reading what is in your link leaves me feeling concerned that you are going to be advocating things that won't work and so could be extremely dangerous as peanut allergies (and other food allergies) can be fatal. 

About 88% of people do outgrow peanut allergy.  If a person has a treatment like OIT and then is able to eat peanuts like my child, that isn't outgrowing but a treatment that was successful. 

There is a common idea in alternative medicine circles that a holistic lifestyle will cure most ills--that we wouldn't have food allergies if we just didn't eat junk food.  There are many who eat a whole foods, natural diet and still have food allergies, who are healthy otherwise, who exercise, etc etc and still have food allergies. 

So, I'm just guessing about your book and I could be way off.  But what you wrote in the blurb does not sound like it is giving the latest and greatest of treatment options because those would be OIT in my opinion and OIT is not alternative.

There may be dozens of causes beyond protein but I'm not sure what that means. People react to the protein in foods in an IgE reaction.  I don't think that means the protein 'causes' the allergy in the first place, though.  Could there be dozens of caused that various people could have for *IgE food allergies?  Maybe.  It doesn't seem that likely to me.  Dozens of causes for various types of food reactions (IgE allergies, EoE allergies, celiac, etc), then sure.  Those are all different conditions.

Does your book talk about OIT?  Does it talk about the new peanut patch?  the Chinese herbal formula and etc? 

Toxicology--could your field have to do with the rise in food allergies?  Maybe.  Allergists themselves and food allergy researchers themselves do not yet know the cause of food allergies.

What sources did you use for information for your book?

I do not think you are going to find a lot of people in the mainstream food allergy community that interested in the book just based on the blurbs in the link but maybe I"m getting a very wrong impression.  If food could prevent this my child wouldn't have had food allergies in the first place.

I hope this doesn't come off as rude.  I'm giving you my honest feedback.

People can die from food allergies so I don't take suggestions that treatments that can't possibly work work lightly.  it sounds like your book might be a lot of such suggestions.  I hope I'm wrong.

Best wishes.