FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Solve your dietary problems- FOODEE smart phone app  (Read 1454 times)

Description:

Nick

Solve your dietary problems- FOODEE smart phone app
« on: April 30, 2016, 12:45:53 AM »
Hi,
Im Nick and i'm a part of a small start up. We are aiming to help those with specific dietary needs identify and red flag products they can and cant eat by scanning the product bar code.

If this interests you or you would like some more information, please check out our website:

hivemindtech.com.au/foodee/

cheers

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Solve your dietary problems- FOODEE smart phone app
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 06:46:29 AM »
Hi Nick, I have a question for you - how do you determine whether or not a product is safe for people to eat wrt allergens?  Is it just from the ingredient list on the label, or have the manufacturers been contacted to ensure that products aren't made on shared equipment with allergens?  How often is the information updated?

Thanks!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline AdminCM

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 12:17:27 PM »
Really good questions. 

Also-- you say that you are a start-up-- does this mean that you are commercial/for-profit?    Can you talk about your mission and how you became interested in special diets (since it sounds as though this isn't food-allergen specific)?   

We do have an area on the site for commercial posts, so that you know.  I will likely move this thread there after a short time here in Main.

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 11:20:46 AM »
I do think it is a very good idea.  I recommend you have a disclaimer that manufacturing processes and ingredients can change at any time so consumers should use this as a way to help figure out what they may be able to eat but should reconfirm food safety themselves.  Are you aware of labeling laws regarding top 8 and foods that are not?  Are you aware of rules around allergen warnings on food labels? (There are not any so lack of warning does not mean a food is safe.)