imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Scary reaction that ended well  (Read 18766 times)

Description: update: potatoes

Offline my3guys

Scary reaction that ended well
« on: April 14, 2016, 08:25:07 AM »
I'm on my phone. Please forgive typos.

We are on vacation in FL. On captiva island which can be driven to/from. We've been having a great time -- doing a combination of eating out and cooking like we always do. Restaurants have been great. Something went wrong last night. Still don't know what yet. But I'm beyond thankful it had a good ending.

Shortly after eating ds started not feeling well. We were still at the restaurant. First I gave him tums he said he ate too fast. Then he felt like he had to throw up. Before dh took him to bathroom I gave him Benadryl. I had played the scenario out in my mind if he had a reaction. Don't hesitate you're in a more remote area than weve ever been. Give Epi call 911 etc. he didnt throw up. Mommy senses were kicking into overdrive. We left restaurant and as Murphy's law would have it we walked to restaurant on beach. As we got on beach he said his voice box felt funny and his stomach was really tight. I gave him Epi. He felt immediately better. Dh wanted him to walk back to hotel. I didnt want him to move. Instructed dh to hurry back with other kids (2block walk up beach) and get car. Then I realized I didn't have my phone but ds did. Thankfully.

Dh left and symptoms started coming back. He really didnt feel well. Asked for second Epi. I gave it. Again better but not full relief. I called 911. He asked me if he would live  before second epi and after. They came fast. Dh came back to fire trucks paramedics and a beach full of people looking at us. I was crazy calm then. No rash no outward signs of reaction. Bit 2 body symptoms one involving throat.  They were all professional but I sensed by their questions wondering if this was for real. He kept saying something felt stuck and was trying to throw up.

Got in ambulance they made me sit in front. They didn't turn siren/lights on. I asked why. They said he's stable. He's coughing talking breathing fine vitals are fine and they had more Epi on board. Once paramedic explained that his tissues in his throat were swollen he stopped trying to throw up and calmed down. 25 minutes later we get to hospital. Halfway through ride technician says he feels much better. I start bawling.

Er doc asks where's his rash. Paramedic who was with him shut him down saying his throat was swollen. He prescribes steroid and we wait in er. At this point dh and other kids show up. I realize we won't leave until 1am. We have one car and no one we can call. I tell him to uber them back and I would drive home. Felt bad for other kids. He was smart and wouldn't leave.

We passed biphasic timeline without any symptoms and they release him at 1 with scripts for Epi and steroids and continued Benadryl. He's sleeping peacefully next to me as i type.

I will try to call restaurant and find out deal. He's waking up now and this is already too long. But let me end with this -- I think it's quite possible the collective wisdom of this board over the years helped save his life last night. There are no words to say how grateful I am.

And I have a question for soak -- we are supposed to fly home tomorrow. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 11:06:52 AM by my3guys »

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
Re: Scary reaction that ended well
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 09:44:02 AM »
I'm glad he's ok!  Nice job handling the situation!  I don't know about flying home, call your allergist?

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 01:33:59 PM »
I could not breath until I got to the end of your post!  Huge huge hugs for you!   :grouphug:  (and him too)

So glad he is OK.  Definitely speak to your allergist about flying risks.  When DD has had anaphylaxis our allergist has been disgusted at the responses from the ER staff...of course she does nothing to force education on them either.

My DD has a tough week after a reaction.  She needs Benedryl, Predisone, for at least a week and Albuterol every 4 - 5 hours two weeks.   Her system needs time to get rebalanced and healed.  She always has had a biphasic reaction, but always within 12 hours of the first reaction.  A day later she is totally exhausted.  That takes a few days to resolve too.  Her body was working hard!

Hoping he is doing better very very quickly!

Offline my3guys

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 05:24:47 PM »
Thanks hezzier and purplecat! Just typing that out was helpful and your responses helped more:) thanks to your post purplecat I followed his lead and we've had very low key day -- just what he needed I think.

We've taken it easy today and he's doing pretty well. Not 100% but nothing like yesterday thankfully. He feels like he's getting a cold.

Spoke to allergist and pedi and both said he can fly as long as he feels ok.

Called restaurant...best possibility they can offer is the shared fryer...still processing.

I'm wiped but happy he's doing pretty well. Hopefully we can get him home tomorrow. Thanks again.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 06:26:57 PM »
Wow. :heart:

You so obviously did the right thing. Don't let the ER doc get into your head.

I bet as long as he's on pred he's okay. My allergist told me to take Zantac after a reaction like that--it's an H2 blocker and doesn't make you sleepy. Fwiw.

Hugs to you. What a scary thing!

PS My sip got married on the beach in front of a chapel on Captiva. :-)
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 08:12:15 PM »
I was at work when I read this earlier and couldn't post a response.

OMG, I was sick reading your post!  Of course risk is higher when we're away from home, and the additional loss of control when a reaction takes place in an unfamiliar place just adds to the terror.

I'm glad he's OK.

What airline are you flying?  And remind me - what are his allergens?  Does the airline serve his allergens?

We went to Captiva and Sanibel when DS1 was an infant.  We loved it!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 08:14:55 PM »
Oh no, that is so scary! Im so sorry you had to deal with that, especially on vacation! We dealt with same attitude from an Er dr. Luckily my neighbor was the EMT and backed me up! Hoping for an uneventful flight. I absolutely love Sanibel and Captiva btw!!
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline my3guys

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 08:36:38 PM »
Thanks guys. GN -- we are flying JetBlue because they don't serve nuts. Only snacks -- there may be some eggy things but he's around egg often without a problem. He's peanut tree nut and egg allergic. I called JetBlue today and they will ask for people to refrain from eating nuts in seats around him. We badly want to get home but I will be a wreck until we are.

Thinking about this more...he's had Epi 3 times now. Once in allergist office once at home and now this. He didnt get that immediate full relief from it any of 3 times. Will have to ask about that.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 09:18:15 PM »
Glad you're flying Jet Blue.

Did you get replacement epis?
N.E. US

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 10:21:24 PM »
My ds didn't get full immediate relief either. Please let us know when you are home safely.  :grouphug:
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline my3guys

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 02:39:58 AM »
Yep I brought 4 epis here and will fly home with 4. Very glad I brought 4 because I could only get a script for 2 more from hospital and didnt have to go hunting around for a pharmacy at 1am to refill. We filled script first thing next am.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 07:38:35 AM »
I am horrible at remembering all the kids ages on this forum.  How old is he and does he have adult or child dose epi's?

My DD has always gotten instant relief but has needed a second dose as well.  She has had the adult dose since she was young by weight.  It's up to 66lbs for Epi Jr.  Then adult dose.

Safe and uneventful trip home.  I know you will stress the whole way....quiet breaths once in awhile.  Will be thinking of you.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 07:48:25 AM »
And please let us know when you arrive home safely!!!
N.E. US

Offline my3guys

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 08:06:21 AM »
Purplecat -- he's 13. He's had the adult dose all 3 times. Thanks for thinking about it though:)

I will post when were home thanks all for the support such a help!!

Offline my3guys

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2016, 08:43:15 AM »
And he's much better today so the gorilla on my back has shrunk to a monkey. Getting ready to leave.