login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Scary reaction that ended well  (Read 18783 times)

Description: update: potatoes

Offline ctmartin

Re: Scary reaction that ended well
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2018, 10:16:23 AM »

my3guys: thanks for raising this thread.  i know i read it originally, but reading over your experience and everyone else's responses again has served as a great reminder to me of how using common sense and remaining calm is so vital to the situation.  we were in a minor car accident last night, and even though no one was hurt, everyone was pretty shaken (the roads iced almost immediately and became a skating rink before our very eyes).  later, we lamented at how inefficient we had been in not getting the license plate number or the driver's license of the person that hit us because we were all so freaked out (we called the police and they couldn't get to us for 3 hours, and when we looked at the insurance card he had given us, it had expired in 2015!)  i use this as an example of a high stress situation that doesn't happen very often, but when it does, you need to be on top of your game ... the very same way you need to be during a serious allergic reaction (the last of which we experienced in 2011).  so, again ... thank you for this reminder.

with that said, anxiety is a VERY powerful force, and since your son is eating potatoes fine now, i wonder if it was the fact that the only thing you could pinpoint from that night was the potatoes, which could have lead to your son's subsequent difficulty with consuming them?  reflux is often a direct result of anxiety (i am suffering through this currently, as I had been reflux free for 3 solid years until i started planning our upcoming trip ... my PA daughter has not been on a plane in over 10 years and running through the frightening scenarios, in addition to the language barrier we will face when we reach our destination, has sent me into a tailspin!).  I wonder if it is periods of intense anxiety that is causing the reflux for him?  just some thoughts based on my own experiences.  glad he is better now!

Offline my3guys

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2018, 07:14:36 AM »
Thanks ctmartin. Yes I agree that potatoes most likely reminded him of his reaction. I had no idea anxiety could cause reflux wow! I know it can be linked to constipation which is a reflux trigger for him.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2018, 08:49:15 AM »
Physical activity can cause reflux as well - something to keep in mind for the reflux-prone.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US