FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Odd reactions  (Read 1900 times)

Description:

Offline YouKnowWho

Odd reactions
« on: April 20, 2016, 09:46:12 AM »
DD has reacted to two tree nuts, macadamia and hazelnut.  She does eat peanuts (Hampton Farm) but have yet to find a TN free peanut butter.

Yesterday, my MIL gave DD sunbutter which resulted in an itchy mouth.  This has happened before which is why I wrote NO DD on it but MIL missed it.  DD has the same problem with Enjoy Life Cocoa Loco bars - both namebrand and generic (Aldis), but I just noted they have sunbutter in both of them.  Bad me for assuming Enjoy Life = safe but she used to eat them until the tree nut debacle, albeit sparingly because they are expensive.  Sunbutter is in trash (DS2 only likes it once in a blue moon anyway and he has other safe alternatives he prefers, NBD).

The other reaction that puzzles me is San-J gluten free tamari products (Water, Soybeans, Salt, Alcohol (to preserve freshness)). And their facility is free of tree nuts.  She reacts with itchy mouth and hives. 

But she doesn't react to GF Kikkoman sauce (WATER, SOYBEANS, RICE, SALT).  So soy doesn't seem to be an issue...but how they process it is?

The itchy mouth thing sounds like OAS but she doesn't seem to react to fruit (she is avoiding apples right now but that is do to loose teeth).  Pollen counts are insane right now but she has reacted when there is no/low pollen.  But the sunflower seeds are roasted and I thought that would eliminate OAS.  And it makes no sense with the soy sauce though it would seem that falls more into the allergy category than OAS.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: Odd reactions
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 09:55:32 AM »
I know the Sunbutter has a soy warning on it... maybe she's reacting to soy but somehow the processing of the soy sauce makes it okay?  I do fine with soy sauce and some soy in products but I can't tolerate soy based foods, soy milk, etc.

I did find this that indicates soy sauce may be okay for most people with soy allergy.

https://www.aaaai.org/ask-the-expert/allergenicity-soy-sauce-corn-oil
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 10:15:23 AM »
I guess I should also mention one of her favorite foods is Amy's Mattar Tofu
http://www.amys.com/products/product-detail/indian-meals/000251

So this is where I am more puzzled.

I did make an appointment for Monday and I will discuss with allergist as well.  New allergist that used to partner with old allergist but seems to be more progressive in thought process (this relates more to the boys allergies than DD's).

I am reading that there are several people who react with itchy mouth to sunbutter (including a member here).  I do wonder if there is something in the alcohol that the San-J uses and less about the soy.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 10:15:54 AM »
The more recent Sunbutter is now soy free.  My stores all sell this version now.

http://sunbutter.com/newroast/

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 10:38:27 AM »
The tofu really blows my soy theory, huh?  ;)  I hope the allergist can help you narrow it down - very odd, indeed.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 10:42:22 AM »
Does she otherwise eat sunflower in anything?

Because sunflower and then, somehow, XC with it (oils, something) would make the most sense.

I'm guessing that the two things (Tamari, sunbutter) are not related. 

Tamari maybe contaminated with whatever the underlying allergen might be? 

If it's XC, though, it's probably a seed protein.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.